Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:41 AM   #1

So, I had mt Powershot A80 stolen, and am about to consider replacements.

I think I have the following options available.

Get another A80, or go for the S765.

I like the Idea of the zoom on the S765, and the fact that it's pretty compact.

However, I am quite used to the swivelling LCD on the Canon - I liked it when I could stick the camera over head height at concerts.

I've looked into the Powershot S1 IS, but I'm not too convinced with it's low level focus, and the fact it does not have AF assisted lamp.

Can I ask anyone's opinion ?
davegriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 3:47 AM   #2

I like my A80 a lot, and I'm sure it will be hard to get away from the swivel LCD. I have a question for you about low-light shots, though. When I take a low-light indoor shot in a larger-sized room with flash, the color is very wrong. I usually get a blue-green tint to the whole picture. Is my ISO too low? I try to run at ISO 50 as much as possible. Also, I don't like how when I take a shot outside at night, the sky is completely black and the subject is correctly exposed. I know that this is normal, but is there any way to avoid it? Thanks.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 4:31 AM   #3

The color cast on your indoor photos sounds like a white balance issue.

Chances are, in a very large room, the flash strength is not sufficient to illuminate it well. So, you're picking up some ambient light (and/or reflections) in the room that are at a different color temperature, compared to your flash.

I'd experiment with different white balance settings, to see what impact this has.

As far as your night photos, you are correct. This is normal (properly illuminated subject, black background). There is a huge difference between the brightness of a subject illuminated by the flash, compared to the background.

Try using your camera's "night scene" mode. This is a slow sync flash mode. In this mode, your camera will leave the shutter open much longer, in order to better expose the background. Then, it will fire the flash briefly to illuminate your foreground subject.

The downside of using a slow sync flash mode, is that the background will be blurry if you don't use a tripod. This is because the shutter speed will be too slow to prevent motion blur from camera movement without a tripod. The flash will "freeze" the action in theforeground subject, regardless of the shutter speed used.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 7:09 AM   #4

Sorry guys, but I'm at a loss to see how this relates to my post ?

Couldn't you guys go somewhere else ??

davegriff is offline   Reply With Quote