Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1

Hello All you DigPic Guru's,

My question is how does the type of compression effect your prints of pictures taken from a digital camera.

I have an canon S60, at high resolution it takes pics at 2592x1944

Which produces a picture size of 2.4MB, if use higher rate compression the same 2592x1944 pics is 1.4MB?

How is this compression reflect on the photo prints which I get from online printing service.

Will I see any difference in quality of prints, if I print the same picture (5x7 Size) one with low compression (2.4MB file Size) and one with High compression (1.4 MB file Size)
Thanks For your help..
singhera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:00 AM   #2

I doubt you would see the difference in a 5 X 7 unless you crop a lot.

Many people seem to think of their digital photos as temporary and disposable. "I only want to print 5 X 7s this week so I'll use the minimum quality to get that result". Those images are lifetime memories and should be guarded IMO. CF is cheap. Take the images at best quality. 10 years from now you might buy that inexpensive 18,000 DPI printer that will make a beautiful 16 X 20 of that special photo you took in 2004 to hang on your wall.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:57 PM   #3

I agree with Slipe: shoot at the highest resolution and lowest compression size unless you have good reason to do otherwise. Memory is cheap enough now so that should not be a reason.

If you want to look at the effects of comression, shoot some images of high contrast areas (e.g., tree limbs against the sky) at the highest compression your camera will do. Then look at them with enough magnification so you can see 8x8 blocks of pixels. Then use your photo editor to save a copy with as much compression as it allows. Do some experiments and you will begin to recognize JPEG comression artifacts.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote