Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 21, 2002, 3:57 PM   #1
Default Olympus UZ Series vs Sony Mavica Series?

I looked at both today, and liked the great optical zoom on the Olympus UZ Series, but don't like the lack of rechargeable batteries.

Sony Mavica seems a bit bulkier, but sports nice clean controls and I hear image quality is pretty outstanding...although the zoom isn't as powerful as the Olympus.

Any recommendations? Narrowing the search down...I'm leaning towards the Olympus...but don't like the idea of replacing batteries constantly. Would like to recharge the camera instead...
Sinicalgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:16 PM   #2

The Sony Mavica either uses the Floppy Drive or a CD Drive as the media, and in these times when lots of different media are evolving, it's would not be a good idea to stick to a limited size media,
viz. 1.44MB and 156MB, which have their own limitations as well.
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 3:30 PM   #3

I have a C-2100 camera, and the 1600mHA ni-mh last pretty long. I have 2 sets of them, keep the spare set in the camera bag. And once the set in the camera run out, I switch them and charge the dead ones as soon as I get home. They last alot longer then normal alkaline batterys too. If 1600 isn't enough for you, you can get some 1800's too. I hope this helps
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 8:59 AM   #4

I'm not sure which Sony you are taking about, but I've used the Sony Mavica FD-73, and there's no comparison on pic quality-- the C-2100 is much better. The flash on the Sony washes out closeups, and the resolution is only 640x480... as opposed to 1600x1200 on the Olympus.

If you get the Olympus, get a couple of sets of 1800mah NimH Powerex batteries from Thomas Distributing. With two sets of backup batteries, I have never run out.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote