Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:43 PM   #1

Ineed help. I have had a Coolpix 800 for several years now, but usually just go with

automatic P-n-S, and maybe using the exposure control to help with indoor light. My

problem is that this, of course, just slows the shutter speed to the point where you

cannot take any kind of "action" shot with the subject moving. I really haven't taken

the time to explore all of the manual settings, and I am looking for some pointers on

how to set it up to take better motion shots indoors. My favorite subject in this case

is my son playing lacrosse inside an arena.

What settings should I start playing with (ISO, white balance etc). Will the shutter lag

always be a limiting factor? Finally, are new digicams better in this scenario (although

I ma not looking for a new cam, I would never rule it out ).

Many thanks....Stu
StuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:09 PM   #2

About the only thing that I would suggest for your camera model is to set your ISO speed to a higher value. ISO 200 will allow shutter speeds twice as fast as ISO100; ISO 400 will allow shutter speeds 4 times as fast as ISO 100.

In your models Auto ISO mode, it probably is increasing ISO speed some already in low light, but probably not as high as ISO 400.

Now, this will increase noise levels (similar to film grain).

You can find some good tools to reduce the appearance of noise:

Neat Image: http://www.neatimage.com

Noise Ninja: http://www.picturecode.com

Here's a free one:

Even increasing ISO speed to 400, you may still have a high percentage of photos with motion blur. So, you may try to use one of the continuous modes on your camera. The more photos you take, the greater the chance of getting "keepers".

Another thing that will increase shutter speeds your model can use, is to stay as close to full wide angle as possible. This is because more light reaches the sensor through the lens at wide angle. Of course, this would not allow you to get as close to your subject. So, six one, half a dozen the other.

The best types of cameras for indoor sports are the DSLR models. They have much larger sensors, so they can shoot at much higher ISO speeds than non-DSLR models.The two lowest cost models right now are the Nikon D70 and Canon Digital Rebel.

Of course, you'd need a bright lens, or lenses(larger apertures, represented by lower f/stop numbers) to go with one. Often times, one good lens can exceed the cost of the camera, once you get into longer focal lengths, with larger available apertures.

You may also want to look at something like the Sony DSC-F717. It's got a very bright lens (f/2.0, only dropping down to f/2.4 at full zoom). It's noise levels are better than most models in it's class at higher ISO speeds, too. Although, you may still have a high percentage of your photos with motion blur. So, your best bet is to take lots of photos, to increase the number of "keepers" -- no matter which camera you choose.

Note that the lenses on most Digital Cameras start out at around f/2.8 at wide angle.f/2.0 is twice as bright as f/2.8

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote