Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:53 PM   #1

when I take photo I usethe(2272x1704) large file I never Know if going to make a large print. how do I resize in photoshop if i want to make a 4x6 or 5x7. when I try to resize.it does not come out well. it may still be to large. thank you
sybbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:26 PM   #2

If you are printing the images, do not resize them. Most graphics programs will allow you to fit your picture to the media (paper size), if you resize the image yourself you will lose image quality. If you cannot find this feature in your software do not dispair, if you are using Windows XP theoperating system itself includes a picture and fax viewer which will print images via a wizard which allows you a number of print size options and produces good results. Here are some guidelines:

1 - Unless there is a very good reason not to, always set your camera at the highest resolution and quality settings.

2 - When the images have been loaded into your computer do not alter these original images, in effect these are your "digital negatives", (some people even convert them to TIF format so that they will not be compressed any farther, but that is a little extreme for most pictures). If you want to alter pictures to improve them (or resize them for web pages or emails) then start by making a copy of the original with a new filename and use that. Do no resave the originals since this reduces quality by adding more compression (unless of course, you have converted them to the uncompressed TIF format).

3 - Most prints are made at a resolution of 300dpi while most computer displays are only about 72dpi so the print will be smaller than the computer screen image anyway. Many people make the mistake of resizing the image to fit the print size but if you do that you have now created a small image at 72dpi (unless you know how to resize and preserve detail, but that is another story). This means that it will be very poor quality when printed since it will have to "stretch" the pixels to fit the printers 300dpi mode (the picture cannot gain pixels which means your resizing has damaged the picture)

Try this, if you have resized an image to 8"X10" at the default setting (probably 72dpi) then the image is now 576 X 720 pixels, not much better than VGA, less than 0.5MP. Printed pixel for pixel on a 300dpi printer you now have a print that is about 1.5" X 2.5" (just approximates, I don't want to do the math). If you try to print it at 8" X 10" the pixels will be huge and the picture will be awful, unless you view it from a great distance.

The moral of the story is, resize upward if you must in order to make big prints (and put up with some quality loss) but never resize downward unless yout plan to only email the picture or post it to the web.

Hopefully someone less verbose will give you a simpler answer, but I hope this helps.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:13 PM   #3

Note that this is for Photoshop Elements. I presume that Photoshop is the same.

1. Enter your photo into the program.

2. Click on "Image" from the pull down menu, and then "resize".

3. A pop up menu will appear divided into 2 sections. Pixel Dimensions, and Document size. Pixel Dimensions allow you to input values in Pixels. For instance, if you wish to resize an image to 800x600, all you need do is input these values here.You can also change this to percent, thus you can play with the dimensions as lets say 50% of the original.

Document sizeallows you to resize the document along with the resolution. Hence if you wish to have an 8x10 inch photo, then you simply input the data here. Values range from Metric, to US imperial, to graphic arts units like the pica. If you have "constraint proportions" on, then it will not distort your photo if you dial in a different photo size. Just be aware that if you have cropped your photo, or your photo was taken with a DSLR, then you will not get an exact 8x10. Thus, you may have to uncheck "constraint proportions" to mold and fit the photo to your desired photo output size. This will however distort it. Also, you can increase or decrease your photo resolution here as well.

4. Always use "print preview" under the "file" pull down menu. This will allow you to see what will be printed. Ultimately, it will save you lots of wasted paper over time.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 10:31 PM   #4

In Photoshop select the crop tool. If you want to make an 8 X 10 put 10 in for width and 8 in for height (or the other way round). Put nothing in the Resolution box. Crop the image and the crop box will maintain the proportions. When it is the way you want it go Image>Crop. You will keep all of the pixels you don't crop out and it will print 8 X 10.

If you want to know what resolution you ended up with you can go Image>Image Size. I wouldn't mess with the resolution unless you end up with less than 180 PPI.
I have no idea how i got a box out of that.....?
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:36 AM   #5

Thank you guys I will try both ways I will check back with you
sybbie is offline   Reply With Quote