Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:29 AM   #1

Curious if new models arrive every year at a specific time like cars or do they arrive whenever there's new technology like computers? Specifically the Canon S1, is there going to be a new model soon or should I go ahead and buy?
nialriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:53 PM   #2

We are seeing two to three times during the year when new cameras are announced. In Jan-Feb before the big PMA show a lot of cameras are introduced. Then there is the period we are in now, Jul-Aug we see another hoard of cameras introduced. This year is a Photokina year - biggest photo show in the world, held in Germany only once every two years - near the end of Sept. But it looks as if all the makers will announce well before the show -- hence all the new cameras we have been talking about on the Breaking News page over the last month.

The S1 IS is still pretty new, don't expect a replacement soon, it replaced the Pro90 IS and it was around for two years! There are several new 10x super zoom cameras with IS stabilization being introduced this year. Panasonic FZ20 and Konica Minolta Z3 are due out soon.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:16 AM   #3

I was interested to read your comment about this Photokina show in Germany.

I've more or less decided to buy a Canon D70 with kit lens, and was feeling quite put out about the fact that it'll cost me 300 sterling more than if Ilived near NY and was able to buyit from B&H.

I was wondering whether products at the show are sold at prices more akin to US prices - any idea?
Skeech is offline   Reply With Quote