Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 1, 2002, 11:55 PM   #1
Default Olympus C4000 Zoom or Nikon CoolPix 4300

Hello all,

I am a Digital Camera "Newbie" and could use some help deciding on a camera.

After some research online I have come up with 2 cameras that I think would be good for me.

The Nikon CoolPix 4300 and the Olympus C4000

I am mostly going to be using it for everyday use IE family, vacations, hunting trips, etc...

I would like a camera that has a fairly easy learing scale but one that i can appreciate as i get more accustomed to the world of Digital Photography.

I would also like to ability to add other optional features later on IE: lenses/flashes and such.

Has anyone heard anything bad about either of these cameras? Are they about the same as far as picture quality goes? I am going to be normally printing in 4x6 or 5x7 sizes.

If i go with the CoolPix will i lose alot of quality since it is only 3MP compared to the 4MP of the C4000

and lastly. After reviewing the CoolPix 4500 this camera has really made an impression on me but it is a bit too expensive for me, Is the 4300 comparable to the 4500 or are they 2 totally different cameras.

Any help is greatly appreciated and please recommend any cameras you may feel i have missed or passed over.

Thanks in Advance.

Don Lamb
Don Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2002, 6:03 AM   #2
Default Which Camera

I would prefer the Olympus C4000Z. I have always used Olympus and found them to produce great cameras. I have a friend that has an Oly 4000 and it makes great pics. The Nikon 4300 should produce great pics also. The Oly 4000 has manual control settings that will let you grow with the camera. Go to www.2filter.com and you can buy all your filters and lens you want for either camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 12:16 PM   #3
Default which camera

The main thing here to ask yourself is whether or not you'll want to use accessory flash as discussed in another article on the forum. If you do, the CP4300 can't take one at all and the Olympus C-4000 isn't all that easy to add one. Other than that, both are excellent quality.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 10:23 AM   #4
Default RE:

Thank you for the replies. I did not know about the flash on the 4300.

I am still undecided about what camera i am getting. Man I would love the coolpix 4500 but I don't know if I can swing it.

I have been leaning towards the C4000 tho.

Don Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote