Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:49 AM   #1

W1 or A95. I want a simple Point and Shoot camera that will deliver great results. It will be used for the usual ... Kids party's (so indoor with impatient moving kids) is important, Holiday snaps and general usage. I am no professional but would hate to spend good earned cash on a camera that is going to take worse quality shots than my aging 35mm Sure Shot. Indoor quality seems to be the problem with most of the digi cameras (mostly speed related.. slow shutter and so blurred images). I never noticed this problem with my 35mm using stock 400 ISO film.

DoI need to adjust my expectations of the technology or is the talk all too in-depth and over critical for the general user?

Please Help

A Digi Newbie

Adrian Byron-Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:52 AM   #2

Adrian ! For a newbie, as you call yourself, you have to ask yourself a simple question - with your 35 mm you did not become a pro? Did it become a real hobby or you just want to snap some occasional shots? Do you have many people to email pictures to or you mostly want to show the printed pictures? Do you have people with vision problems in family (age group?). For the everyday point and shoot a 3 megapixel camera is already too much, especially if you wantr to print a 4x6 image... I even used my son's Sony U50 - 2 megapixels and printed 4x^ with amazing clarity, and the U50 is a real point and shoot, no zoom even ! The Sony W1 you are asking about is not really a point and shoot, i.e. it has capabilities of being pretty creative and you may even think it is too much of a camera for what you need... It has a huge 2.5" LCD, while almost everyone else makes a 1.5 or a 1.8 "... Sony is a damn good machine and you may not want to spend $400.00 for the W1, so look for a 3 megapix. model for much less.... Are yougood with computers and Adobe photoshop? Youy would need to get ivolved with the ins and outs of digital post procesing ads your pfoto collection grows and some shots ae off color and you wandt to correct them.... You may look at pentax optioS30 or S40 for 250.00 - pretty good camera too.... Clarify your phototaking abilities and then go with the camera... There are millions of cameras and all depends on the $$ you want to spend. But definitely look at Sony , Pentax and Canon.....
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote