Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 26, 2004, 3:51 PM   #1

I have a question regarding sending my digital pictures to my computer. Is there a way to pick and choose which pictures to send from my memory card? Right now, everytime I upload, it sends everything on the card. I have a Pentax Optio S40 and using Pentax ACDSee when I upload. Thanks.. .I am a REAL NEWBIE!
tomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 5:52 PM   #2

Yes, it can be done, but why would you want to do that?

When connected via the camera's USB connection or via a card reader, the memory should look like a removable drive. Just copy the ones you want. Since figuring out which ones you want will be the hard part, it is likely going to be just as easy to copy everything and then use a viewer/utility to delete the ones you don't want.

One place where some (not all) folks get into trouble is writing to the memory. Seems there are a bunch of different ways to write to a drive (FAT8, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, ...) and there is a good chance that your computer does not use the same "standard" as your camera. That means, do not write to the memory with your computer: do not delete images form the memory card since that writes to the card. There is a fair chance you can get away with deleting, but why take the chance?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 6:39 PM   #3

Since you're a "real newbie" I'll give you this advice...it's best to COPY, NOT MOVE your ALL your pictures to the computer first...this is quick compared to leaving your camera connected to the computer and picking this file to copy and that file to copy.

After all the pictures have been copied, disconnect your camera and check to see if all have been copied to the hard drive (some people in the past have claimed to copied files, then after erasing the card they find that the pictres are no where to be found on the computer).

Go through the copied pictures on the computer and erase the ones you don't want.

At this point you can erase all the pictures on the card (using the erase pictures or format options on your camera).

This may seem like a longer proceedure, HOWEVER it uses the least amount of camera battery as everything is read at once (rather than the fetching and reading that would have to be done for each individual file), and it has a lesser risk of damaging the contents of the memory card (which people have done by using the MOVE command, or formatting via the computer). With the method described here, that's the least amount of "ON" time required.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:03 AM   #4

Buy a Mac! When you plug your camerin in it's automatically recognized and the whole process of moving it over is automated.
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote