Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:31 AM   #1

Hi Everyone I have just purchased my first Digital Camera a Olympus c-770 ultra zoom. I just have one question for starters probably many more to come .The default resolution setting seems to be HQ 2288x1712,is this the 4 megapixel highest setting for the best pictures.The manual seems harder to opperate than the camera

Thanks Jacko
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:44 AM   #2

I guess you haven't read the reference manual that's on the CD that came with the camera...many people print it out.

From your description it sounds like you're using "Auto" mode...it does what it's supposed to do, but sometimes it over boosts the ISO, better to use the (P)rogram setting which does almost as much, and you can use the SHQ setting.

For Olympus specific questions, it's better to hit the Olympus forum here rather than the Newbie forum.

A good primer on digicams is the following:

Also you may want to join a C-7xx dedicated group, check out the following which has not only discussions on the camera but also a bi-weekly (fun) competition which is to promote people getting out and shooting:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:05 PM   #3

If you are asking if 2288x1712 is the highest resolution for your camera, then the answer is yes 2288 x 1712 = 3.917 million (mega)pixels (or about 4 MP). The other thing you need to look at is the compression of the file you create. SHQ is the least compressed (highest quality) and HQ has more compression (lower quality).
riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:23 PM   #4

Assuming that you are interested in looking at the camera data and puzzling through things, you should get an EXIF reader. One might be included with your camera's software, and there are a bunch of them out there.

By looking at the EXIF data you can see what the f/stop, shutter speed, white balance, and several other things that can be different from camera to camera like focus distance, flash intensity, ... Take a bunch of pictures of that boring wall just back of your house with different camera settings and different lighting (time of day), look at the EXIF data as you look at the pictures and you will learn a lot about your camera.

And yes, do read the manual.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the replys .I have had a look at the manual and been playing with the buttons on the camera its all starting to sink in now.

thanks Jacko
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote