Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 14, 2002, 6:59 AM   #1
Default Recommendations for DigiCam under $400

I am drowning in the sea of digital camera info - HELP! I am looking for a ditigal camera for between $250-$400. Should have optical zoom, probably 2-3 megapixel, store a decent amount of photos at a time (50 at high res?) and should be relatively small. Any recommendations?
mwachstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2002, 3:17 PM   #2
Default Which Camera

You can purchase the Olympus C4000 for about $400 on the web. Go to www.dealtime.com for price comparision and vendor ratings. It is a 4 megapixel, 3X Optical zoom. The 16mb memory card can be upgraded to 64mb for about $25. A 64mb card will take 65 high resolution jpeg photos. See Steve's review.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:04 PM   #3

Canon S30. No questions about it. It is the best 3 megspixel camera out there right now. Or if you want compact (S30 is compact) but really small get an S230. That is canons new compact 3 megpixel camera. If you want to have alot of control over the camera (manual settings)get the S30 but for a really good point and shoot get the S230.
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:58 AM   #4

If you want good zoom I got a Olympus c-720 3 mega pixel, 8x optical zoom for $375 for ebay. I also got a free 64 mb memory stick (holds about 80 pics in HQ, 40 in SHQ, and 8 TIFFS) a free camera bag, and a free card reader.

If you want the sellers name I could try and dig it up for you.

Good luck!
butterflysdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:55 AM   #5
Default Think accessories too!

You cannot forget the fact that you are going to want accessories for your camera, this may be for the memory sticks, it may be editing software, though many of the manufacturers have great software programs included with the cameras these days.

There are a great deal of options for cameras...remember to find a reputable dealer...Cameta Cameras off of Ebay is a good one, and they sell complete systems at great prices. I would be somewhat hesitant to get a camera off of Ebay if it was not from a power seller or someone who I did not have a personal recommendation about...

For under $400 (assuming you include accessories) you are not going to have a lot of room in the 3mp space. Maybe some of the discontinued models.

Good Luck,
tjuhnke is offline   Reply With Quote