Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:47 PM   #1

As mentioned a couple of threads, I'm a fairly new D70 owner (a couple of months) and I'm looking to expand my knowledge of photography and improve my skills.

There is an overwhelming plethoria of books available, so I'm posting here to see what you guys and gals recommend.

I came across this web site where there's an ebook. I was referenced there regarding questions on lenses. The author also has an eBook
But at $75 I think I can do better.

Additionally has anyone heard of this book or author, do you think its any good? I generally don't buy ebooks from someone I haven't heard of, that is he may be a great photographer and author or he may not, no way for me to know, so I'm taking a 75 dollar gamble.

maflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:18 PM   #2

Magic Lantern Guides have always been good books for new camera owners. Besides telling you all of the camera functions, they tell you what they do & why & how you use them. There is a similar D70 ebook here:

It's gotten good reviews on photo.net as being more comprehensive that a Magic Lantern Guide. It's only $30.00 too.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:16 PM   #3

I have not read them, but the following got great reviews on Amazon -

Hope these help a bit.

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:03 AM   #4

I would recommend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. To me, that is a must have book for anyone. Also, Digital Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang and Real World Digital Photography by Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan, and Tim Grey are two excellent choices for overall digital photography including post processing.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I'll look into all that was mentioned.

FWIW, I've researched the ebook further and its really a process the author is teaching, first laying the foundation regarding exposure, shutter speed etc, then the digital work flow steps used to create excellent photos.

The people who have heard of him and his books/seminars have spoken extremely highly him his work. Quite a lot of discussion regarding that price though.

One final funny note. onhenry's post had some titles that I'll be researching but the internet is so finely ground into me, I kept trying to click them, it dawned on me he used proper english by underlinging the published works :-)

maflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:23 PM   #6

I always recommend checking out your local library first...they'll have tons of books on photography, and the books on film photography are just as valid as most of those techniques apply to digital.

Don't forget free online resources too...for the very basics of learning what the controls do (beyond what the manual tells you), check out
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:39 PM   #7

Mikefellh, that link is OUTSTANDING!
bosamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:17 PM   #8

Check out The Art of Adventure Photography by the late Galen Rowell.

You can find it easily on Amazon.com.

He was a slide (film) photographer but his mix of photos and how-to articles in this book definitely carries over to digital.

Good luck

Go here http://www.mountainlight.comto read more about him.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:27 PM   #9

Glad I found this thread. Have made note of the many book recommendations. But, upon looking closer at the reviews on http://www.amazon.ca posted by people who have bought those books it seems some of those books aren't exactly geared towards the novice (even if theyoffer insight that can be benefited by a newbie). But more for people who have either already spent some time with SLR cameras or people who are are already familiar with the "basics".

I have spoted a few books I thought might be more aimed at the novice (me) but would love to hear from experienced users.

What books would you recommend for some one totally new tophotography?If could only pick 3that are "must haves". Nothing heavy. More in a "handbook" form. An easy read with great examples and color photographs. Not 20 lb reference manuals.

Thanks in advance!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:46 PM   #10

Hi All,

This is great info. I don't have a SLR - I bought the Sony T30 and it seems that some of these books will work for novices of all types.

Also, would you recommend any magazines worth subscribing to for novices for digital photography but haven't quite graduated yet to the SLR?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
MMB916 is offline   Reply With Quote