Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:40 PM   #1

Hi everyone

I just wanted to check what is your recommended photo processing workflow? That is, do you follow a standard set of steps after taking a picture (e.g. import the photo, then remove red eye, then crop the picture).

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Best Regards
Gary Hendricks
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:23 AM   #2

This is generally what I do. Note I take nature/wildlife shots. So this probalby influences my answer. Oh, it also matters if I'm going to print it or put it on the web:

Review the RAW files, opening several at once to compare which I like the best.

Then I close those raw conversions and open the one I want and fix the white balance. Usually this is just picking a preset, but some times that isn't enough.

Then I use neat image if it is necessary.

Then I pick a crop that I like.

Then I fix contrast and brightness (which ever is needed more I do first.) If saturation is needed, I do that here too. Oh, and cloning if needed.

Then I save the picture in to my "edited" folder.

If I'm printing it, I upsize the picture as needed, sharpen and then save it with a comment on the size of the print it makes.

If I'm posting it on the web I:
Then I reduce and sharpen.

Then I give it a border, apply a copyright notice and save for web.

You might find this useful:

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:08 AM   #3

I do cropping last: even saving an uncropped but edited version as my "final" version. That allows cropping to the specific aspect ratio needed (4x6, 5x7, 8x10,...) or picking the "best" crop for the web where I am not constrained to a specific aspect ratio.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:17 AM   #4

As Eric says, it depends entirely on what you are photographing.

1) If I am photographing interiors/exteriors of houses/villas etc., I use the Grid, select all, transform, distort, perspective etc. Also the replace colour, adjust colour, repair by cloning or healing tools, remove unwanted things such as cranes, hosepipes etc., curves, feather, shadow/highlight on CS, and tons more. In fact, I can spend up to 30 minutes on one photo. A client once asked if I would "Remove" the big mesh fence from all around his swimming pool using Photoshop (including shadows and reflections in the water). Took nearly a week of 30 minutes here and there.....

2) When I am doing people, it can involve;

SELECT, COLOUR RANGE, Highlights, select inverse, feather approx 20, Levels. This really brings out skin tones, leaving the highlights in place. Works better than shadow/highlight, which incidentally, is an incredible addition to PS7! Also sometimes the dodge tool to lighten the eyes or add highlights if necessary (But not too much!!!).

..............In fact, this could go on for hours depending on what you photograph, and what your level of knowledge is on whichever editing program you use. Go to Erics link.....:lol:

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 3:02 PM   #5

I have several different workflows depending on time.

My top level services
  1. Set white balance and exposure in Canon RAW file viewer, then export as JPG. I will be moving this process to Adobe Photoshop CS.[/*]
  2. Open file in adobe Photoshop CS and do manual levels settings.[/*]
  3. perform healing, blemish removal, scars, tattoos removal, red eye, etc.[/*]
  4. Verify Brightness Contrast, shadow highlights, [/*]
  5. Crop to desired print size 8x10 or DVD ratios for viewing on TV.[/*]
  6. Save edit as .PSD but keeping original jpg.[/*]
  7. Print or export to video editing software to create DVD.[/*]
  8. Create Web PhotoGallery with adobe Photoshop of remaining photos and Burn to CD-ROM.
My fast servie
  1. Use a Photoshop Action that auto color, auto levels.[/*]
  2. Crop [/*]
  3. Save as psd[/*]
  4. create Web PhotoGallery.[/*]
  5. Print[/*]
  6. Burn to CD-ROM

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:19 AM   #6

My workflow is as follows:

1. Shoot. (generally in RAW)

2. Save to computer via cardreader, in dated directory.

3. Use Capture One LE to browse through files, and the pictures I don't delete, process toTIFF (after making levels adjustment in C1.)

4.Backup the undeleted RAW files to CD

5. Process the TIFFs in Photoshop 7, using levels, color balance, saturation, and usm(last).

6. Save the edited TIFF, and delete the unedited TIFF

Since I shoot with a Canon 10D, my workflow will be a bit different. Hope it helps though.

Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:19 PM   #7

It usually goes something like this. I shoot RAW with a Nikon D70.

1, Download from card reader and rename with Nikon View 6.2.1

2, Adjust WB, EV and do dust removal, if necessary, with Nikon Capture 4.1.3

3, If I need to crop to a better composition, I do this now in Nikon Capture. There may be further cropping done later depending on the final destination of the image.

4, Save as a 16 bit RGB .tif.

5. Open in Picture Window Pro 3.5.08 for curves, levels, contrast adjustment, color correction and retouching as necessary. I may or may not do preliminary sharpening at this time.

6, Save as 16 bit RGB .tif.

7, At this point, the final sizing is done in Irfanview> resample> lanczos filter. For prints, I make them fit the final size, for the web, I usually make them 640 pixels in the longest dimension, or whatever is called for in the final use.

8, Save as an uncompressed .tif.

9, Open in Paint Shop Pro 9 for noise removal and final sharpening. Add borders or copyright notices as needed and export as .jpg using the .jpg optimizer. Set the compression as low as possible..... for prints, I set at 1, for the web, reduce the file size as required.

There are other ways to do it and some will be better for some folks but this way makes my images look the way I want them to.... that's why I use it.

BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote