Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:27 PM   #1

I just bought my first digital camera, the Panasonic FZ3. I want to take clear pictures of my daughter's basketball inside basketball games. The Simple mode is too blurry for action shots. I tried the S Mode with the shutter speed set to 1/200 and no other changes and the shots appeared clear, but now they are way too dark.

Can someone please help me with what settings I should use to get clear, bright shots of action on the court. Please keep your suggestions simple--remember, I am brand new to this.

Bdooly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:39 PM   #2

The problem with using Shutter Priority with a shutter speed that fast, is that the maximum available aperture is f/2.8. So, you ended up with an underexposed photo (because the maximum available aperture did not let in enough light for the shutter speed you selected).

Chances are, the camera will stay at f/2.8 indoors without a flash anyway. If not, shoot in aperture priority/Av mode and keep your aperture set to f/2.8 ).

The best way to get faster shutter speeds (while still insuring proper exposure) is to increase your ISO speed to 400. This will give you the fastest shutter speeds possible (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast).

But, increasing ISO speed will also increase noise levels. You can use software to reduce it's appearance (to a point) to help. Chances are, even at ISO 400 and f/2.8, you'll still need to take lots of photos to get many "keepers" (due to motion blur fromslower shutter speeds). But, this is the best you can expect it to do.

See this thread on why taking photos in low light (and indoor sports is low light) is difficult with most models (and your Panasonic has two advantages over most non-DSLR models: a stabilized lens, and a lens that maintains it's f/2.8 brightness throughout it's focal range).:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote