Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:12 AM   #1

This is a very basic question. Should I consider the purchase of an Easyshare printer dock to go along with my new Kodak digital camera, or would it be wiser for me to simply use my current printer (a Lexmark X83), or perhaps purchase some other printer. I suspect thatthe latter two options would be far more cost efficient over time, but I am concerned about picture (i.e. print) quality and durability.

DBBLLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:26 PM   #2

Well... You'll need to decide whatyou want in a printer. Steve has a review of a Kodak Printer Dock Station here:

It looks like your cost per print would be around 61 cents for a 4x6" with this printer.

There are lower cost options available with inkjets versus dye sub now. For example, the Epson Picturemate has a cost per 4x6" print of around 30 cents:

Personally, I just bought a Canon Pixma iP4000 to replace an HP Printer that broke (it was a good printer, but they do have their limits and I ran a LOT of paper through it).

This Canon is fast, gives me the flexibility of printing at larger than 4x6" sizes, and has a low cost per print compared to most inkjets (and I'll be using Generic Inks from MIS Associates).

As for longevity, I plan on using Kodak's new Ultima Picture Paper (Kodak claims that prints will last for over 100 years on this paper). Of course, I'll probably need to tweak the color settings for good quality prints with it (most printers are "finnicky" using other manufacturer's paper). But, the tradeoffs are worth it to me.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote