Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:02 PM   #1
Default Sony Mavica CD 400 or Canon G2?

I have been looking at both of these cameras and I can't decide which one would be the better camera in the long run. I want to be able to take and print out good quality pictures. Anyone have any advice. :?
rachelhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2002, 5:23 PM   #2
Default RE:

I got my G2 about 2 weeks ago and so far I love it. I haven't played much with the features yet because it takes great pictures just in auto mode. As far as printing goes, i have not had good luck but i suspect that is because of my printer. I plan on getting some photo quality ink and paper to test it out, but was planning on taking my pics up to a Kmarts or something like that that has a digital photo center to print them out.

Can't say much about the sony because I never looked at the sony's while looking...

Don Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 2:39 AM   #3

Go with the Canon..you won't be sorry! Mavica, in Latin, means 'over-sized, over-priced and propietary media'...God Bless!
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 4:02 AM   #4

No to Mavica anytime, reason being that Mavica models use either the 156MB CD or the 1.44MB Floppy disk, and in these times when new media is evolving every couple of months, there is no point in sticking to vanishing media.
In contrast the Canon uses the CF type media which in my opinion is the best affordable media yet, And the read/write time is better then the mavica media.
also take into account the no. of pics that can come on the floppy drive (a TIFF file approx. size is 10MB), and if using a Mavica with CD media, you can not view the pics before the CD is closed in the camera (which takes up about 5MB or so of the available MB's). Also to reopen it will take some more MB's and if you open and close the Cd for a few times, figure out how much of CD space would be lost.
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote