Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1

I made a visit to my local camera store in LA trying to buy a "protective" lens for my new digital camera. The salesman advised to buy "UV" over "Skylight" for digital cameras because they had some kind of advantage, although he couldn't remember exactly why. If you were in the market for a new filter for "primarily protection purposes" for a lens on a digital camera, what is the prevailing opinion on which to buy? And I assume you want to buy the best piece of glass you can get (something in the $50-$70 price range vs. $30) if you'll be leaving it on the camera all the time...any thoughts? John
Jvasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:14 PM   #2

Skylight filters have a slight warming color that varies according to the number. UV is filtering light that isn't visible to the eye. While not actually warming the picture it can reduce an artificial cooling when UV registers as visible violet or blue on film – I don't know whether it does anything with digital. Automatic white balance might or might not cancel out the warming in a skylight filter, but I don't think you normally want it on the camera all the time. UV is just clear glass to visible light.

I would think you could get a decent UV filter for $30, but I haven't priced them. You want it coated and from a manufacturer you trust.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote