Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:36 PM   #1

Hey everyone, I just got a Nikon 4100 camera. When I use the flash and take a picture, the screen goes blank for like 8 seconds and the flash light flashes over and over then its ready to take another picture. Is that normal or is there a way to fix that? My Canon S410 is ready instantly after one picture to take another, this is really extereme, thanks!
leemoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:19 AM   #2

I know nothing about the Nikon 4100, but this sounds like a battery issue. The flash draws a lot of power and stores it for instantious output (as light.) If you have weak batteries, it will take a long time.

If that camera uses off-the-shelf batteries (like AA) then maybe you're using a type of battery that doesn't take large power drains well. Some battery techs are better at lower longer drains, others are better at higher shorter drains.

You might want to ask the question in the Nikon area to see if others with the 4100 have some ideas.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:38 AM   #3

This is normal for your model. See the review conclusion section for it here, which says the following:

Using flash, shot to shot time ranged between 6 and 8.5 seconds depending on the distance to the subject.

Keep in mind that your model is only using two AA batteries. The camera is also probably limiting ISO speed to lower values in most indoor conditions with flash (since it's smaller 4MP 1/2.5" CCD will require more amplification for equivalent ISO sensitivity, and higher ISO speeds would result in higher noise).

Increasing ISO speed could improve recycle times some (since a shorter flash burst would be needed for proper exposure), but this would result in higher noise levels.

If you don't use as much optical zoom (using your feet for zoom instead), you should get faster recycle times (since more than twice as much light reaches the sensor at the wide angle lens setting with your model). A closer range to your subject will also help (since the flash burst will not need to be as long if your subject is closer to the camera).

I'd also make sure you're using good batteries, as eric s suggested. You'll find a lot of information on batteries here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote