Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 3, 2002, 8:05 AM   #1
Default printer

Having purchased a new digital camera, i want too know if anyone could offer me advice on what printer too use, i would like one with photo printing, but there are so many out there, looking for good qaulity prints, but dont want too pay a fortune for a printer.

many thanks ray.
ray pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2002, 8:25 AM   #2

I would recommend the HP 5550. It has the capability of doing 6 color printing or 4 color printing. The cost is about $150.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 11:25 AM   #3

Epson are generally regarded as the best photo printers.

I suggest the cheapest photo printer epson make - you wont be disappointed.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 4:40 PM   #4

Definitely look at 6 colour for photo work. Compare the paper and ink costs though, and also ability to offer archival/semi archival prints - prints you don't want to fade after a couple of years!

When comparing costs, look at oem vendor prices for compatible inks and paper - although don't expect colour matching to original manufacturer products to be spot on. I like printing on thick glossy paper (165gm). This is a bit heavy for my Epson and needs coaxing through, so check the max paper weight it will take.

Print speeds are pretty good now. Although my limited experience of Epson over HP, is they don't put much memory in their printers and rely on you having plenty in your pc for spooling!

My only criticism of my Epson, is I only use it infrequently for photos, it seems to gobble up ink just cleaning itself and needs a couple of prints each time to clear its nozzles!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 4:49 PM   #5

first question might be do I want a printer. I asked a question on the forum recently : Digital to photofinisher, and was suprised at the results.
You have to consider not only initial but also per page costs which can mount up. There was an article on photo printers either in www.pcworld.com and/or www.pcmag.org which discussses some per page costs.
Steve has many fine reviews on this website, discusing price speed and quality.
Now my two cents: for now I have been convinced to photofinish, but if I really get going I might get a printer. Then it would be a Canon 820 (not 820 D; get a cheap card reader instead)
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 11:02 PM   #6

8) Well, I've been very happy with my HP Photosmart and HP makes some nice thick, heavyweight glossy paper that doesn't do well on the Epson printers. I know, because I had the $99 820 and just wasn't happy with it, compared to my HP. I know everyone 'raves' about the Epson, but I sent mine back, it didn't print an image as well as the HP, it had smaller cartridges which were used up quickly, and I unsuccessfully attempted to remove an obvious 'magenta' cast from my portrait shots.
So, check out the HP Photosmart models, some have had price cuts or are offering rebates right now.(and they're simple to use)
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote