Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:16 PM   #11

I believe the phrase "best glass" is being used in place of lense.

How long have you owned the 20D and how do you like it so far? I am a recent convert from a lower end 35mm (Nikon 2020 w/Nikkor AF 35-135) used for RE appraisal as well as any other excuse to take photos. I am on my second digital (Fujifilm S5000) and about to move to another. I have told myself I need to make a choice between the Nikon D70 and Canon 20D yet I don't believe they are in the same league. Therefore, my choice should be easy. Lenses will be the next hurdle since I am less familiar with which lense fills what needs. The old 35-135 had the macro function and enough range to work as a day-to-day yet I believe I need/want to go well beyond that with my next camera. I'll be interested in reading how you like yours and which lense(s) you are using.

BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:32 PM   #12

"Best glass" from Canon is the L series. Many of the L series lenses will costalmost as much if notmore than the 20D.

For instance some very good Canon zooms lenses are the "70-200 F2.8L IS" @ 2700$cdn, and the "17-40 F4L"@ 1000$cdn.

Then you hit the real high end primes like the EF 300mm F2.8L IS USM @ 6000$cdnor the 600mm F4L ISUSM @ 12000$cdn.For some reason don't knowmany people with thesefor hobby use. :lol:

There are also the slower F4L/F5.6L zoom lenses that are quite a bit less expensive for those of us who like to eattoo.:lol:Optically they are very good,just not as fast.

grant.smith wrote:

I don't understand what up mean by 'best glass you can afford' could you elaborate?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:19 AM   #13

Hi BrierS,

Well the 20D is my first digital camera, I have always previously worked with traditional SLR's and Medium formats and then scanned the film for any digital media.

In short I think its well worth the money and I have only always been amazed at the quality. I went for the 20D because my company wanted me to get a new camera which would work well with my 17" Apple PowerBook and would be capable of producing images for a Litho print of up to about A1. The 300D and the D70 are very similar cameras, apart from I think the D70 feels better made, not so plastic, which is what put me off the 300D straight away. Still a nice camera but I would not put a bet on it surviving a drop.

The only thing I can suggest you do is what I did, my local camera shop let me have each model for a week, you obviously have to leave your Credit Card details. But it gives you a great opportunity to play and make sure it fulfills all your requirements.

This is why I ended up buying the 20D, it fulfills all my requirements without any compromises.
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:40 PM   #14

Well I have a Canon 20D with Grip and 550EX Flash.

I don't understand what up mean by 'best glass you can afford' could you elaborate?
I think others have answered this pretty well. Yes, "Best Glass" in Canon terms means L-series lenses, but that is not to say Sigma or Tokina don't also have some pretty good glass/lenses. It all depends on what you can afford. My friend recently purchased a Sigma 2.8 DX something that is supposed to be comparable to the Canon 70-200 F2.8. I don't think anyone makes anything compariable to the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS lenses but they cost a arm and a leg.

I hear a lot of people tlk about which camera is better Nikon D70 vs Canon 20D or 300D.. The camera just gives you functionality and features. The best photos I have seen where shot with fairlybasic manaul cameras but with really good lens.

I can't afford the fast L-series yet but I am buying all the F4 L-series lenses I can get my hands on. Quality lenses is important whether you are shooting film or digital Nikon or Canon.

Iplan on upgrading to a 20D soon but not until I have all L-series lens from 17 - 200mm F4. I would not upgrade my 300D to 20D with the same cheap lens I am already unhappy with.

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:11 PM   #15

i umm.. didn't have time to read through everyone's response- as i'm hungry.

just to answer the first question.
the camera series by National Geographic are GREAT!

they have several books on:
-portraits shooting
-landscape shooting
-basics of digital camera and understanding light etc...

berto is offline   Reply With Quote