Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 12, 2002, 9:05 PM   #1
Default Which camera should I buy?

I am new in this, and would like to buy a digital camera. I have read about many brands and really donīt know which one to choose. I think my final decision will be between the Canon Powershot A40 and the Nikon Coolpix 775, and in personal opinion, I like A40, but I am not very convinced. I also read about the Fuji Finepix 2650 and Olympus D-510Z. These are all 2 megapixel cameras, have similar features and move in a similar price range. Which camera should I buy taking into consideration features, image quality and price? Thanks.
leyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2002, 9:08 PM   #2

I think that Oly d510 would be an excellent purchase. I owned the d490 and was very happy with the quality pics. Have fun on which ever you choose.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:37 PM   #3

What kind of pictures will you be taking. How much do you want to spend. Are you a novice or have experience with 35mm SLR cameras. More indoor or outdoor shooting.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:12 AM   #4

In addition to the reviews here, you might want to consult some of the other reviews on this list:

Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:25 AM   #5

I am fairly new to digital photography (one year), but have been into film photography for about 20 years. In that time I went from a simple 110 pocket camera up to a Minolta SLR with all the goodies. Along the way each camera I bought was more complicated than the previous, but allowed me to do things that the previous wouldn't. Some people would much rather have a camera like the 110 that I started out with which took mediocre pictures but was easy enough for a 5 year old to use.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to sit down and decide what it is that you want to do with your camera. Digital or film makes no differance. If you are experienced enough you may want to skip all the ones you listed. If you are looking for a simple to use camera any of them are good. Don't buy an overly complicated camera to start with or you will likely not use the features you paid for and leave it on automatic all the time. A camera that costs half as much would take the same quality pictures. On the other hand, don't limit yourself either. Nothing worse than spending hundreds of dollars and finding your camera won't do what you need and then having to buy the one you should have bought in the first place.

By the way, I just went through the same list you have since my wife wanted a digital for herself for Christmas. I ended up with a choice between the Olympus 520 and Fuji 2650. I went with the Olympus because the camera I use now uses Smartmedia and I have several 128 MB cards that we can share, and because it is about the smallest and thinnest 2 Megapixel 3X zoom I could find. Minolta makes a really compact camera but sells for about $300. The Olympus was $188 at buydig.com.

Oh and when shopping for price, make sure you know whether the camera is refurbed since they only have a 90 day warranty. The $188 price was about $15 more than the lowest price, but includes the one year USA warranty. Make sure you use CNET, pricegrabber etc. when you are looking for a specific camera.

Good Luck and have fun shopping.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:13 PM   #6

I recommend that Canon A40 you mention. Although I own 2 Fujis (a Fp1300 and 2800), I think that the Canon has good features for a point-n-shoot: to name a few...(most of which are lacking in others at this price point)...
Focus-assist lamp to avoid focusing problems in dark places,
Long shutter speeds for night scenes (to 15 seconds !),
Good hand grip,
variable ISO 50 to 400,
runs on cheap AA rechargeables or Alkalines,
Output to TV (great for checking shots on vacation in motels).
Videos WITH sound,
panorama capable,
3 point AiAF or Spot metering,
Good flash coverage,
No chromatic aberration.
Only one caveat:
(ensure you get a model that doesn't need the Canon firmware fix: check serial number at Canon's Web site.)
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote