Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 14, 2002, 9:43 PM   #1
Default I like to rank digital cameras by brand...am I correct?

Hi! I think Canon is the best, overall, followed by Olympus then Sony.

Can you tell me how I should rank the following, Fuji, Kodak, and HP? I am thinking Fuji > Kodak > HP, what do you think?

Sorry I am a complete newb and am quite overwhelmed by all the different brands out there and this is my attempt at making sense out of them.

Thanks for your help.
SorcsRfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:04 PM   #2

I would think that your rating system would be interpreted differtently by the owner of a specific camera. I own Olympus and may always rate it as best. I have tested other cameras and continue to comeback to Olympus. Had my first camera been a Canon, then I would proably be singing a different tune.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 7:09 AM   #3

You got it gibsonpd3620, the complete ordered list is:

1) My Camera
2) All the other junk
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 7:24 AM   #4

In my opinion, practically all the major camera manufacturers manufacture the cameras to high standards, and have some technology patented by them, and one can not rank them just by their brands.

It depends upon user to user,

BTW, you forgot to mention NIKON in your ranking, i guess it is one of the best digicam manufacturer

ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:36 AM   #5

It wont make any sense ranking ANYTHING after BRANDS. That would be really stupid and impossible. Whats the gain ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 12:21 PM   #6

i hate to admit it but Klaus DK is correct even though his wording leaves a little to be desired. and i myself am guilty of that too.

to rank any grouping of products by brand would be a considerable error on anyones part.

no one company make all products "the best". each manufacturer will concentrate on certain aspects of a product group spec.

one mfgr concentrates on size, one on ergonomics. another on systems integration or versitility. there are the price point makers and then the: wow, thats real expensive "boutique" makers too.

as it has been mentioned in these forums most of the CCDs are manufactured by, at most, 2-3 companies. then the electronics outer skin and lens comes from the name on the camera. firmware or the cameras OS is usually outsourced too.

in short what one maker can't/won't do another somewhere does. so no one mfgr does it all best. you must choose by what parameters you need.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 6:42 PM   #7

I hope you are not going to make a purchasing decision based only on brand ratings. I think you need to ask some other questions, pertaining to the type of shooting you will do.

What size prints, if any, will you make? (to determine the minimum number of pixels)

What kind of shooting do you want to do: landscapes, portraits, family & friends, buildings, wildlife, flowers, etc? This will determine the focal length of your lens, and the range of the zoom.

Are you a point & shoot person, or do you want to control exposure and maybe even focus manually for some shots?

Are size and weight important one way or another?

After you figure these things out, find the cameras that fit your needs. Then read reviews and look for sample pix. Go onto forums where happy and sad owners of those cameras say what they like and don't like.

Then, go to a local store and pick one up, play with it and see if it fits your fingers or feels awkward.

This way, you'll be ranking the cameras in a way that will be meaninful to you.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 9:44 PM   #8

:shock: SorcsRfun: Mercy kid, don't do that.

I've had 6 digitals of 3 different brands: Nikon, Canon and Olympus. You can't go strictly by brand. We are all biased, and these happen to be the brands I like. I would definitely not say that any of these camera were brand-superior to any of the others.

My Olympus E20 was a wonderful camera, my Canon D60 is incredible, and my Nikon 5700 is amazing. But they are all so different as to make comparisons meanngless. Figure out what you really need for your purposes, as WalterK and SJMS will tell you (they know their stuff). Then check the reviews and watch the posts to narrow your selection down. Finally, go handle the cameras to see how they feel -- feel and handling can be as important as any other characteristic.

D60, 5700, 4500, C50 and stuff
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote