Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:55 AM   #1
Default Help with indoor sports photos

:?: Help please....I started taking outdoor digital sports photos for our student newspaper. I use a Fuji 602 zoom. Now its winter and I am moving into indoor sports (v-ball, b-ball, etc.) I can't seem to capture the kids without blurr even up to 1/600. Please provide advise. I'm real new.

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:25 AM   #2

You can do this:

1. blow up the ISO setting!
2. get a real powerfull flash
3. choose your position with the light at you object.
4. Dont zoom too much. Use wideangle.
5. speed the shutter up - make the shot a b/W and lighten up afterwards in an editor.

With that cam it will be hard. There's a reason that sportjournalists use really lightstrong lenses.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:32 PM   #3
Default blur

At 1/600 you shouldnt be getting any blur as i have taken shots with my 602 at indoor ice hockey games and only get some blur from say the puck after a slap shot but it freezes the players fine. I use ISO 400 open the aperture up all the way to 2.8 and can usaully get a shutter speed of about 1/250 with good results. Your subjects must be as fast as a superhero to be getting blurred at 1/600 shutter speeds. You must not be getting a good focus lock. Try this at the next basket ball game, get a focus lock on the basket backboard first, then wait for sombody to throw the ball at basket and take the shot just then, am sure the ball will be perfectly frozen at 1/600 shutter speed. Best to use manual mode for these shots. That will at least tell you you have plenty shutter speed but most likley not getting a good focus lock since you had a good focus lock on the backboard the ball will be focused well too. Once you have figured out that shutter speed isnt the problem which i highly doubt at 1/600, then you will have to do a better job on focusing lock. One other thing since you will have the aperture wide open you wont get as great a depth of feild focus range as when you were outside taking shots with smaller apertures.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote