Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:40 AM   #1

Newbie to all this jargon.

I often read that a 3:2 aspect ratio (e.g. Nikon D70) will provide "perfect" 4x6 prints. So what does this mean for a 4:3 aspect ratio (e.g. Olympus E-300) for someone who will be printing mostly 4x6 with occasional 8x10?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:31 PM   #2

Assuming you don't want to distort your pics, it means that you (or the print processor person) isgoing to have to crop off some of the edges to make your files the right aspect ratio for the pint size you desire.
S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:39 PM   #3

well, neither 4:3 or 3:2 make 'perfect' 8x10s...that's a 4:5 ratio...

3:2 makes 'perfect' 4x6 prints...but 4:3 is more towards 5x7...but it's more like 5.25x7...

lol it's tough :-\

i have a canon 300D (3:2), and now i have to buy 8x12 paper, and 8x12 mats lol

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:20 PM   #4

If you are printing mostly 4x6 then it is best if the camera is 3:2 or lets shoot at that aspect ratio. That way you will only be cropping whenever the occasional 8x10 comes by and not every time you want to print 4x6.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:39 PM   #5

I've found that I have/want to crop pretty much all my photos because the viewfinder is not accurate enough (except using the ground glass of a view camera). I don't know about the dSLRs, but the chemical SLR's viewfinders typically show about 95% of the final image.

So I wouldn't worry much about the native aspect ratio of the camera: I know I am almost certainly going crop in any case. Composition can be a bit more difficult, but that is just one more thing to learn about using the camera. And you would have the same issue shooting for an 8x10" print using a 4:3 aspect ratio camera.

Other issues (e.g., the feel of the camera in your own hands) are much more important.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:48 PM   #6

Here is a table you may find helpful (it shows frame utilization you'd have at popular print sizes and aspect ratios):

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote