Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 22, 2002, 6:29 AM   #1
Default nikon 3500 or canon s230

hey guys-

i'm buying a new digital camera and i'm trying to decide between the nikon 3500 and the canon s230. i'm looking for a small portable camera, that can take very good night shots. i'm not really very knowledgable with cameras so i would like it to be fairly easy to use. (i would rather have all the shutter speeds, white balance, etc... be done by itself)

i've narrowed it down to these two choices. my current digital camera, the fuji finepix 40i sucks at night photos and i'm sick of them not coming out after i take them.

could you guys give me some advice on which one you think i'll like the best? thanks in advance!!!
wahooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:20 AM   #2

can anyone make a suggestion for me?
wahooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 7:14 AM   #3
Default I like the Canon Elph S230 alot

I bought the Canon Elph S230 the day it became available. I like it alot. You get very high quality images (3.2MP), and since they are over 3MP you can crop them somewhat and still have a decent image left. I haven't taken a lot of night shots, which sound important to you, but the ones I have done have been fine (I took a whole sequence at Universal Walk in Florida at night with no flash and they came out great).

I havent used the other camera you want to compare it to, so I can't comment on that.

I do highly recommend the canon. The software in the camera is easy to use and has lots of sophisticated options, such as rotating the image properly when you shoot vertical shots. Its a great camera for someone who wants full automatic mode.

On the downside, it uses Canon proprietary batteries (buy a spare, about $30). They last long, but you can't buy one just anywhere. Also, I am always a little frustrated with having only a 2X zoom. They have another model with a 3X zoom, but its only 2 MP.

So, I give a strong thumbs-up to the Canon. Good luck!
dzane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:21 AM   #4
Default Canon S230 vs. Nikon 3500

They are both very good cameras. When selecting comparable digital cameras, it always comes down to personal preference. I've owned both Canons and Nikons in the past, and they both have their advantages.

To me, the Nikon photos seems to be a little more eye pleasing. but again, this is just personal preference. As far as the s230 vs. Coolpix 3500, here are my two cents:

1) As stated before, I prefer the Nikon picture over the Canon picture
2) I like the Canon steel enclosure vs. the Nikon plastic
3) The design of Canon's Digital Elph line is getting old, the S100, S110, and S200, and now the S230 all basically look the same. I like the "cool" Nikon look.
3) The Coolpix 3500 does not have an optical viewfinder
4) They both use proprietary batteries, so no differences here

Chosing a camera can be a difficult decision, especially when you are a newbie. however, at the same time, it is exciting. When you are able to narrow your choices down to two or three, it basically comes down to personal preference. You can't really go wrong with either one.

Good luck!
easygoinal is offline   Reply With Quote