Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1

Does any one know if this pictures being modified by photoshop? I see this kind of pictures on the net all the time, what kind of tricks to make this quality? I would like to be able to do the same. Is it hard?

I notice the color and as you can see her face looks shiny and smooth. But a regular picture and portrait i took won't come out with results like this. Is there a special software can do that effects?

Any help will be great!

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:43 PM   #2

I'd be surprised if it hasn't been tweaked in photoshop to get the result you see.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It will have started life as a very high quality image from either a film scan film scan or a DSLR very likely at least 12Mp. Almost as important is that it's a studio shot taken against a studio backdrop with a professional lighting rig. Large studio strobes utilising umbrellas, softboxes and the like.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Finally it's probably the one shot selected out of a hundred or so taken in the session.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you want to learn about photoshop look for tutorials on the web and buy a good book.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"There's so good stuff here http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/and here http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...FTutorials.htm

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:54 AM   #3

Every picture taken (film or digital) of this high a quality (i.e. this was shot professionally, probably for advertising stock) is modified.

No one has skin like that. It's too smooth and shiny all over (as you point out.) And that hand, her left (our right) is just wrong. The back of that hand looks too smooth, lacking muscle under the skin and having very few wrinkles. Her right hand is also wrong. Too smooth, rounding in an odd way. I'd hazard a guess that it is EXTREMLY altered or this entire image is some kinda blending of a human head and CGI. Of course, CGI is getting so good now adays that this could be completely fake. But I keep looking at that head and it looks "right" to me.

The lighting is also a bit odd. While you could easily light this from a single light source (as this was) most would not. Most would use fill flashes and studio lighting. Is that a sign that something is "wrong"? No, but its a style that I'm not used to seeing.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:08 AM   #4

I agree that it's probably a real photo taken and edited by someone with an overzealous use of the healing brush

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:46 AM   #5

Hi guys,

When I look closely now, I think they use the brush to get this picture done.

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:16 PM   #6

I think it also helps to have a model looking this good too.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote