Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:13 AM   #11

My apologies guys

I have tried leaving the camera, up to 2 minutes just in case the exposure time was extended.

I realise that the batteries are 1.2 (how silly of me actually, I was letting my general battery expectations of 1.5v cloud my judgement)

but still I find it strange. Especially for Canon to actually do a repair.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience of a camera requiring more constant power for a single shot.

I.E. the batteries would still take pictures normally but if the camera required a sustained burst of power for a longer period, would the battery power drop off a little?

Hope this makes sense guys, and again thanks for the replies.

p.s. Peak are a mid-quality memory supplier, they have been around quite a while, also I get the same problems/results with the included canon CF.

I am gonna try some better batteries.

at least the problem is down to niggles.
BOFH1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:54 AM   #12

Good Luck with it. Hopefully, something external (Memory Card or batteries) didn't fail in a way that is damaging the camera's electronics.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:02 AM   #13

Take your batteries and memory card into Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc., and duplicate the night shot conditions by shooting into a changing bag with one of their A85's. If you have the problem with your camera and not with theirs, then your camera is defective. Ask Canon for a replacement.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:34 PM   #14

No...I don't believe that the capacity of your battery is responsible for not completing a shot. The capacity relates to the amount of time that the camera can operate before the batteries go flat again.

I agree that you could try to reproduce this condition reliably at home....like maybe shoot photos with something very dark to cover up the lens. And if your camera hangs, then you can try the same thing with another A85 at the camera shop.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote