Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:00 PM   #1

just got a Canon Powershot A85, Did I make a good purchase?
Before that I had Olympus 540 Zoom, 3 MP, I was going to buy a Powershot A95 but they where sold out...
xintensex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:42 PM   #2

Its very hard to know without knowing what u want to do and what u were searching for... On a purely subjective basis, I'd choose the A75 over the A85 tho.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:47 PM   #3

I just want to take pictures and print them out, And to be used when traveling or Vactaion, Why would I want to go down in Mega Pixels by getting the A75??
xintensex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:11 AM   #4

If you needed to shoot in limited light and needed to have fast shutter speeds, you would need to increase ISO speeds. Generally sensors that cram more megapixels on the same size sensor are noisier. (There are exceptions, though - the Canon G7, with 7 megapixels on a 7.176x5.319mm sensor, is reportedly considerably better than the G5, with 5 megapixels on the same size sensor.) The A75 has 3 megapixels on a 5.27x3.96mm sensor, whereas the A85 has 4 megapixels on the same size sensor. The A75 should look better on pictures taken indoors without a flash. Although, a dSLR with a much larger sensor would be MUCH better than either option.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:43 AM   #5

I had two options when buying a new camera

sticking with FUJI and I think it was the F550zoom

or the Canon A85 which had just been reduced due to the launch of the A95

4mpixels is a great resolution (moved up from 1.3 which I had been using for 4 years)

the thing that swung it for me was low light outdoor pictures.

In reviews the canon beats the fuji in low light , remembering this is the £150 uk sterling price point.

On receiving the camera I tried it in our back garden, with no security light switched on, and the results were amazing, it fills the flash very well, balanced the picture for amazing nightshot detail.

So next time I am at Epcot (this May) I wont be getting black pictures with blobs of light, when dusk falls.

Its got far more features than I will need too , so its greater than expectations.

P.S. the other great thing about Fuji and Canon is that the camera takes the picture when you press the button down, so many cameras wait for button release, which with my unsteady hand and tendency to move after a picture, creates motion thats not there blurring
BOFH1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:49 AM   #6

Buying an alternate camera when the one you want is sold out is never a good idea But anyway, the A85 is a good all-around family-oriented camera. I think it is pretty good so your decision is ok...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:36 PM   #7

I think you should go out and shoot a few hundred pictures and decide for yourself. That being said, I think that camera will be just fine for what you want to do.

S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:45 PM   #8

Don't take this wrong, but why would you ask if you made a "good purchase" after you purchased the camera? Now, nobody but you can come to thatconclusion. It all depends on what you want to use the camera for and so on.....

Go out and shoot a bunch of pics. The A85 is a great little camera that is easy to use, and takes some nice shots. If this is what you are looking for, then it was a great purchase. If you need more, then the G6 (not the G7, no such thing at this point) would be a higher end "prosumer" camera. If you need a fast camera with an assortment of lens's, you need to look at the DSLRs.

Again, I hope you don't take the above wrong. I didn't mean anything negative by it. It just sounds like you have some buyers remorse.

Happy shooting..... :|
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote