Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 8, 2002, 9:20 AM   #1
Default Nikon vs Cannon? Which to buy?

I like to try different things - closeups, sunsets, portraits, action shots. My husband refuses to get a camcorder - so I would like to have a digital camera that can do short movies also. I was looking at the Nikon 4300 (but it has no audio), the Nikon 4500 is a little pricey - but the scene options intriged me. Now I am looking at the Cannon PowerShot S40orS45.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there another camera that would better fit my needs?

Thank you.
CherAnn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:15 AM   #2

I've been using the CP4500 now for several months. While I've not tried the video clip option yet it works well for close-up and action. Heartily recommend.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:54 PM   #3

You might like to look at Sony's P series since their movies are only limited by the size of the memory stick and not by some internal buffer...
Memory sticks are expected to come in larger sizes for the next year...
daxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:16 PM   #4

Given your plans, I'm pretty sure the best choice for you would be the Fuji S602. Great video (especially with a tripod), good 6x lens, very fast for a digicam, great sports burst mode, good high ISO for indoor sports, and good overall quality. About the only drawback (besides price, maybe) is that for some of your sunset shots, the really dark ones, you might need to fiddle a bit to get good focus. But in general it does well in fairly low light. Reviews here and at other places on this list might help:

Good luck!
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:42 PM   #5

Fujistu is nice but at the moment they dont have a standard color profile similar to what canon has called exif or epson which has PIM. Or at least I have no seen anything yet. I would probably opt out for a caon g2 or g3. I like the s40 for its option to get a waterproof case which I could use from my own purposes of scuba diving.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote