Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:39 AM   #11

The C50 is not much larger than my cell phone. If you read Steve's review, it has easy to use function keys for a subcompact camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 4:52 PM   #12

I appreciate everyone helping, but I am still confused - I have picked out several cameras that I like, but I am still overwhelmed by all the info out there - more mp/less zoom or more zoom/less mp??? Please advise...these are the ones on my list:

**also, please note i am a beginner and don't need more of a camera than i'll actually use - i basically need a point & shoot with a few extra features (in case i decide to try something more advanced)**

Olympus Camedia D-40 Zoom
Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom
Minolta Dimage F100
Minolta Dimage Xi
Fujifilm FinePix A203
Fujifilm FinePix A303
Fujifilm FinePix 2650
Canon PowerShot S230
Canon PowerShot S300 Digital Elph
Canon PowerShot S330 Digital Elph
imr5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:22 PM   #13
Default Lose confusion - gain confidence

Yeah, it can get a bit confusing at times. My suggestion is that the only way you'll lose that confusion and gain in confidence that you are making the right choice for *you* is to learn a bit about digital cameras and what you need to look at before you make your choice.

I'm sure we're all willing to help you here but it could go on for days and even an opinion poll would not serve you since what's right for one person isn't for another.

IMHO, there're 4 things to do in selecting the right digicam for you:

1. Know what you want it for (Your Requirements).
2. Know what digicams are out there that meet some, most, or all of your requirements (Shortlist).
3. Read up on the digicams on your shortlist to make sure that nifty feature on paper holds up in practice. This is where we can help you most here.
4. Go and try them out before you buy.

5. Once you've bought your digicam, have fun! The appropriate forum will help you bring out the best of your camera (ever wonder why there are so many different camera forums?). You'll soon be one of the "expert".

I cover these points in more detail in my "for fun" web site:

Hope that helps and good luck on your search,

Digital Camera Fact Sheets
'A Smile Is Forever'
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 7:34 AM   #14

Frankly, you're just getting lazy now, go look through this site properly and then www.dpreview, they have everythign you need to make a decision. You're in a such a populated sector of the market so you have a lot to choose from.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote