Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 16, 2005, 2:46 AM   #1

Hi all,
Have been thinking for quite sometime to get the Sony W5. Its just that I live in the Middle East where it is so much more expensive that I've been delaying the whole thing. A friend is now going to the US for a short visit and hence was thinking of asking him to get it for me.

Could someone therefore tell me:
1) How good or useful would it be if I shell out a couple of dollars more for the External flash (HVL-FSL1B ).
2) I was also thinking of one of the additional lenses for which I presume I would need the Conversion lens adapter (VAD-WA) as well. The review on this site says:
Wide-angle lens VCL-DH0730 - $80 - Brings the wide end of the lens down by 0.7X to 26.6 mm

Telephoto lens VCL-DH1730 - $80 - Boosts focal distance by 1.7X, up to 193.8 mm; requires conversion lens adapter

Super telephoto lens VCL-DH2630 - $110 - Boosts focal distance by 2.6X, up to a whopping 296.4 mm.

Could I therefore just get the second one and be content that it boosts the distance up to 193.8 mm or would it mean that if I use this lens I'd end up getting a focal distance in excess of what I require? ... wonder if that part was clear I mean, suppose I wanted to get a subject in the coverage of Lens 1, would using Lens 2 get me unnecessary data as well which would in turn require me to crop the picture? If that's the case, I may have to get Lens 1 & 2

And finally, would a simple point & shoot guy like me require one of the mentioned accessory - Flash / Lens?

Thanks for any help ... and cheers
Paparasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:03 PM   #2

I got to play a little bit with a friend's W7 before he took it on vacation. A very nice camera. I'm a point and shoot guy myself and I don't think I'd want any accessories.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote