Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:10 PM   #1
Default Camera for Ireland Pictures

On our last trip to Ireland we took 40 rolls of 24 exp 35mm film! Needless to say, we think it's time to go digital for our next trip this summer. We don't want to spend a huge amount and have considered the Canon A40. Would this be a good choice? We take a lot of landscape shots and sometimes there is cloud cover or rain. Also, what sort of accessory lenses would be recommended?
MAldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:27 PM   #2

One main feature is having the camera well ahead of going to Ireland. Otherwise you will spend a bunch of your time there learning how to use it.

Most folks take 5-10 times as many pictures with digital as they did with a chemical camera. If you shot 1000 pictures, you are going to want a whole bunch of memory, and/or a laptop/digtal-wallet.

Remember the old rule, "Never take a new camera on vacation."

One of the dirty secrets of digital photography is that you have to do your own "darkroom" work. So I suggest that you get some photos put onto CD - that is fairly cheap (and low resolution) when done at the time the film is processed. Learn how to use a photo editor using those. After you have figured out the photo editor, you will have a much better idea of what you want in a camera and be ready to use it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:48 PM   #3

Buy a dimage 7Gi. It is green.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 11:04 AM   #4

:idea: Having spent thousands for film in the past (shot over 500 frames in 5 days in Paris last year), when I bought my digital I thought I would have to buy dozens of memory cards. Then found out about digital wallets and portable hard drives. Bought an x-drive with 20 gigs of storage for $200. Will hold 160 of my memory sticks filled with highest resolution shots!!

gsrunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 12:22 PM   #5

Has a great recommendation in the VP 2030. You can purchase one at computer geeks for $87. It does not include the hard drive. The transfer of photos is easy and quick. It has a small footprint and a nice carrying case.

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote