Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 1, 2005, 5:12 AM   #1

I am quite new to digital photography and the S50. I am living close to the equator and I am having enormous difficulties taking pictures outside in bright sunlight. All I ever seem to get are pictures that are entirely glare. Are these over exposed and what, if anything, can be done about it? I have tried some different settings but with little luck.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Skulduggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2

I'd suggest posting an example of what you are referring to.

It's hard to say from your description what you may be seeing (flare, dynamic range limitations due to the differences in bright and dark areas, etc.). It may be something as simple as the metering settings for the scene, and it may be something else entirely.

Try to post a downsized image here that still contains the camera settings used (an image has what is known as the EXIF, which is a header where we can look at shutter speed, aperture, metering mode, etc.).

Around 640x480 is usually a good size for forum posts. If you don't have an image editor to easily downsize images, download irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com (make sure to download the free plugins, too).

After opening a problem image, go to Image, Resize/Resample and make it around 640x480, save it under a new filename (so you don't overwrite your original),and post a copy of it here. By default irfanview will retain the camera settings used in the EXIF (unless you uncheck that box).

Then, members can better understand what you are referring to.

To include your downsized image in a post, use the Browse button and select the image from your hard disk. You'll see this Browse button under the entry screen when you're typing in the entry box for a new post (not visible until entering a new post). Here is a thread discussing posting of images:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote