Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 19, 2002, 5:21 PM   #1
Default 4 vs 5 pixels ????Enlarging pictures.

I am to new to the technology. I want a camera that can handle prints to be enlarged to 12x14 & 16x20 with the LEAST amount of distortion. Thinkking about a Olympus 5050 or Canon G3. Can I get an opinion on enlargements in general and the cameras I have noted? Thanks, Kathleen
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2002, 6:07 PM   #2

Either camera should provide you the enlargements you are wanting. Read Steve's final review on the C5050 and it may help you with your decision.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 6:08 PM   #3

There are a lot of factors that determine the size of pictures you can print, and the number of pixels the camera can record... but there are lots of other factors, including:

1. Quality of the camera's lens and how well the camera processes the information it receives when you shoot the picture.
2. Printer capability including not only the printer but the paper and software you use.
3. How well you perform your job as a photographer.

You're asking to print some really big pictures. There's software that can help you pump up your pictures by interpolating pixels... Genuine Fractals does a credible job.

If you're looking at only pixel count alone, you're not considering enough. How often do you expect to print really big pictures? It might be cost effective to have two cameras, a digital for smaller prints and a chemical film camera for those really big pictures. Digital cameras that can produce those really big pictures are still very costly.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 11:11 AM   #4

8) To accomplish your goal, you will need a good photo printer with wide carriage (Canon s9000, Epson 2200), plenty of ink cartridges, good photo processing software (Photoshop or Corel PhotoPaint) and Qimage, a great piece of software to get your image on paper the way you want to see it.

Glenn :lol:
gsrunyan is offline   Reply With Quote