Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:13 PM   #1

I'm new to digital camera and I've a Panasonic FZ-20. I'm searching for a UV filter to protect my lens. I found a HOYA 72mm UV(N) HMC (Multi-Coated) Haze Glass Filter at an online store. I cannot understand whether I should buy a UV(0) filter or a UV(N) filter for my digicam. What is the difference between UV(0) and UV(n) filters? Can anybody please help me. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:53 PM   #2

A lot of people have asked about UV filters for protection. My answer has annoyed some people who have strong opinions to the contrary, but here goes. The purpose of a lens cap is to protect your lens. I have associated with many professional photographers, and not one of them uses a filter for protection.They make heavy use of a polarizing filter for outdoor photography because it improves a lot of photos. Don't use a filter unless it improves your photo. Adding glass in front of your lens is not a good idea unless you can say that it improves the image. I have been taking pictures for over fifty years and have never scratched a lens.
Tom Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote