Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:17 AM   #11
Super Moderator

In the world of documentary/street/reportage photography many photographers like to use a 35mm-45mm lens as their standard lens, usually with a rangefinder camera. Leica, Voigtlander and Zeiss make their most poplular rangefinder lenses at 35mm, 40mm, 45mm respectively.

These "normal" lenses don't present the subject as particularly distorted to the human eye, as wide angle and telephoto lenses can.

My favourite snapshot lens and the one that lives on my 20D most of the time is the EF 28mm f1.8 USM. (*1.6 = 45mm)

The wide aperture means it's very good in low light and is an excellent indoor lens day or night when you don't want to use flash. It's also really excellent outdoors with lovely colour rendition. Before I bought it I thought I'd only use it indoors, but I find that my 17-85mm zoom is used much less than it used to be. If you're willing to use your feet a bit you only need the zoom occasionally.

If I'd been willing to spend an extra £650 I would probably have opted for the EF 24mm f1.4 L USM (*1.6=39mm).

By contrast my 50mm f1.8 is hardly used at all! It does make a good portrait lens, but I don't shoot that many portraits.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:43 AM   #12

Polarwasp, I think you've got it! The only thing I would add is that the reason 50mm photos look "boring" is because of the way the human eye perceives light. So in that way it is important.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote