Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:37 AM   #1

I am about to own my 1st digital camera (Casio EX S500), and I was wondering whether a case is essential.... or just a gimmick?

Do LCD screens/camera bodiesscratch that easily?

Please state whether they are needed or not and list a few reasons to back up the claim

Thanks in advance

untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:54 AM   #2

Essential - No.

Recommended, well that depends on how you use your camera, how much you travel with it and how you normally pack it and carry it when you do.

And yes, some can scratch easily.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:03 AM   #3

Rain, dropping it accidently, bumping into stuff.

Cases protect against the elements, as well as absorbing some of the shock of a fall. Scratching is also a factor. Cases also makes it more comfortable to carry.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4

I assume you are referring to a case that directly attaches to the camera. If that is the case, my recommendation is no. A quote I read long ago sticks with me..."A camera in a case is not ready to use."

If you are referring to a camera bag that can hold your lenses, memory cards, batteries, manuals, etc., by all means, yes. The bag should be large enough to hold the items you may need immediate access to but should not be so large that you are reluctant to carry it around.

You will probably go through several different bags before you settle down on one you like. There should be room to store the camera with lens attached but when you are at a shooting location, the camera should be hanging around your neck, not in the bag.

Good luck to you.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:13 AM   #5

An inexpensive generic case is a good investment for the reasons Carrots mentioned. I found an inexpensive one at Wal-Mart for my wife's A75 that also holds a spare set of batteries and CF card.

If you move up to a DSLR, you'll never have enough space in a camera bag... I just bought a backpack to carry all the stuff... spare lenses, flash, tripod, etc.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:25 PM   #6

LCDs can get scratched. There are clear protectors for PDAs you can cut to size and they stick to the surface of the LCD. They are a good idea if you plan to carry the camera in your pocket. They protect only from scratches. They do not protect from pressing something against the LCD and damaging it. If you carry the camera in your pocket don't carry anything else in that pocket and face the LCD toward your leg.

I have always been able to find a small belt pouch at my local flea market that will hold my camera. I find it more convenient and safer to carry the camera that way. I can get it out as quickly as from my pocket – quicker if I am wearing jeans. Some people feel geeky with even a tiny pouch on their belt, but at my age I'm not out to impress anyone.

Putting it in a case and then in your pocket is the worst of both worlds IMO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:58 PM   #7

I'll just add one more reason (to have a case) to Carrots' list - dust. Do a search for dust in this forum and read a couple of horror stories about dust on sensors...I think you'll run right out and buy a case for your camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote