Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:46 AM   #1
Default Buyers Beware - Camera Ripoffs

For all of you that are new to the camera buying scene I would highly recommend that you read this article at PC World, it really tells it like it is:

I am always getting email asking me why a certain dealer could offer a digicam for hundreds less than most other dealers. There's always a reason and it's usually a ripoff in one form or another.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:58 AM   #2

Thanks Steve

Interesting article. Supports my dealings with some of the online shops. I will share it with friends who see low prices and ask "Whatsup"
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 1:47 PM   #3

They're not this bad in the UK yet, BUT many have been caught by the web buy scam from US on a low price, and been stung by tax when the cam is delivered!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 7:26 PM   #4

Thanks a lot for posting this link.

I thought I'd mention:

As a way to do some research on mail order places. I know that other sites have been suggested as well. Hopefully someone will post those too.

Also realise that employees could just as easily post good reviews as real customers can post bad one.... But nothing is perfect.

And thanks for doing such a great job Steve. I got lucky and hit your forum & site first for camera info. You do a great job!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:50 PM   #5
Default comment

Thanks Steve,

I am sure we all appreciate you making us aware of this article.
I have been greatly suspecious of prices too low as well.

I have bought several articles from Dbuys.com and had no trouble,even though the add-ons were overpriced.

In the revue of consumer postings at Dealtime of several companies I was going to order though, the trouble seems to come when someone has a problem with the goods, or wants to return them. Customer service is the weak area of most of the low priced sellers.

I had a recent event with 47th street photo that also puzzles me.
they sent no confirmation, no UPS tracking number, and would hang up on me when I called to see what the situation was. Finally I just cancelled. awful way to do business.

Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:28 AM   #6

I have purchased computer parts through www.newegg.com for years. This exceptional and highly rated seller has expanded their camera offerings.....includes better current Canon, Olympus and other cameras at good prices. Topnotch service, delivery and pricing.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 2:00 PM   #7

Thanks for posting this as a warning to people knoew to shopping on-line for cameras. It's been going on for years in brick and mortar shops, and has simply moved on-line. You know what they say.. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:08 AM   #8

Steve and others listen up. Get your best price from others and take a copy of the product price plus shipping to Staples and they will price match plus give you 10 per-cent of the difference. This way you get a reputable company to deal with and a great price to boot. I got my Fuji S602 at Staples for $469 using the price from Broadway Photo. Did I mention “Free Shipping” too.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote