Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:50 AM   #1
Default Problems With Flash Exposure

I have the Canon S45. I am using it in auto mode as I really just want to point and shoot--at least for now. For the most part, all of the indoor pictures that I have shot (all using auto with flash and red-eye reduction) are coming out with the skin looking extremely white with hardly any skin tones. This has been in at least 3 different indoor locations. I press the shuttle halfway until the green box appears in the LCD and then press it all the way. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the S45? Thanks.
Bigmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:27 PM   #2

Check your manual or your menus and find "Flash Compensation". Try a setting of -0.7. Try some shots and adjust to taste. The need for +/- flash compensation varies slightly by camera. It will also vary by shooting style, so you may not find one setting that works for all situations. You may need a negative setting for close-ups and a positive setting if you intend to shoot a series of shots with the subject farther away.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 6:05 AM   #3

I don't know the S45, but on some cams, flash compensation is only offered in non-auto modes - but Bigmamma prefers auto point and shoot.

So if Bigmamma wants to try something simple, could try reducing and diffusing the light from the flash (but not cover any sensors) by putting a diffuser material in front of the flash lens. This could be a semi-transparent piece of plastic cut from a bottle, or the proper job is to get a small piece of Neutral Density filter from a photo-shop. Remember to remove when shooting flash further away.

I'm never sure whether these cams calculate the light as the flash is fired (so would only give flatter not less light) or as I suspect, use focus distance and ambient scene light. If there is a sensor in the flash housing, this will not work - so try, and see what happens.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 6:31 AM   #4

Is your 'subject(s)' very close or wear dark clothes or the background very dark?

Try a brighter wall or lighter clothing to see if this make a difference or move further away from the subjects...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:03 AM   #5

Overexposed skin tones is often caused by being too close to the subject. An easy solution when using auto mode is to simply stand farther away and using the zoom to compose the shot.
Another option is to adjust the EV setting which I believe is available in auto mode. However, I have found this to be problematic since I never seem to remember to reset it when the next shot doesn't require it.

Canon A40;Ricoh RDC5300
Dan29944 is offline   Reply With Quote