Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:22 PM   #1
Default Budget-ish digicam decision assistance please

I'm planning on buying a basic, not too expensive, camera. Usage will be mostly for indoor footage, with and without flash.

I have narrowed my options to Canon A40 (2mp, 3x) and Olympus D-550/C-300 (3mp, 3x). Both of them seem to have received good reviews regarding picture quality and neither of them seem to have any serious problems with lower/medium-light situations.

The biggest difference seems to be that the A40 allows for more manual control, while the D-550 has higher resolution. The manual control bit is not an important thing, although "nice to have". I'm not sure about the importance of higher resolution for me as mostly smaller prints will be done. I might also need to crop images, but only slightly.

Is either of these digicams going to have an advantage over the other in the low/medium-light I'm about to use it in?

A few differences I know of and don't care much about:
* A40 has movie with sound
* A40 allows you to use lenses

A few other differences I don't know much about:
* A40 uses CF (Type I) and D-550 uses SmartMedia
* D-550 has uncompressed image format
* A40 has an AF assist light (although it performs poorly according to some reviews)
* A40 has/had a focusing problem and it's fixable with an adjustment program

I'd be happy to take suggestions of other cams within the same price-range as long as they fit my needs. I'll not be able to buy a used/refurbed digicam though as there aren't a lot of them where I live.

kalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2003, 2:17 AM   #2
Default comment

go for the higher resolution !

you will be able to print out larger images.

good luck

Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I guess 2mp is kinda low these days. If I'm not mistaken the extra res will give me at least some room to crop pictures.

Now for another question:

Seems I have been given the chance to buy a used Nikon Coolpix 880. I know it's quite old which is why I'd like to know some pros/cons to choosing this older but more feature-rich cam over a brand new, say Oly D-550? To me the sample pictures on this site seem quite equal in quality. Warranty issues aside, which one would you choose and why?

kalkin is offline   Reply With Quote