Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 27, 2003, 8:57 PM   #1
Default Which camera - compact, low light.

I am in the market for my first digital camera. I have done a significant amount of research reading reviews on this and other sites. I have looked at the canon s230 and the minolta dimage XI and the casio ex. My main desire is a small compact camera that can comfortable fit in my pocket or at least be carried convienently. The images will be mainly used for website display and occasionally 8x10 prints. The photos taken the majority of the time will be candid shots in low light environments. These shots will usually only have a distance of around 3-6 feet. I also looked at the Nikon 4300, however the impression I have from the reviews is that it is too large and does not take low light pictures very well. I also found with the s230 that there appears to be a stability issue resulting in many blurry images. Any help and advice would be appreciated. As far as cost I would like to keep it under $500.

Thank you all in advance
UofODuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:14 AM   #2

All digicams in the price range you are talking about are likely to have problems in low light. In addition, small cameras generally are worse in low light.

To be a good low light camera it must have some combination of:
1) low noise/high ISO. These are tightly related - don't simply believe the manufacturer's statement of ISO, that is generally exaggerated by a stop or two. Read the detailed reviews.
2) good low light focus.
3) a large aperature (low f/number).

The last two of those are not likely to be found in a shirt-pocket camera. Low light focus generally means a focus assist light which takes up some space so is not likely to be included in a small camera.

A large aperature means a large lens which will not fit in a small camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote