Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:56 AM   #1
Default What is resampling?

I have two things going against me, One I just took up photography and two, I'm blonde. I have enjoyed reading the messages here but so much is foreign. What does the term resample mean. Thanks for your reponse.
surfer chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:34 PM   #2

Do Blondes really have more fun?

Resampling is changing the number of pixels in the photo. Here's an article that may be more information than you want:

And here's another one that addresses interpolation, which is resamplig to make the photo larger:

JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:10 PM   #3

I use resampling to change the size of an image for email attachments (reducing the image size by resampling also reduces the file size accordingly). My software allows me to select the percentage of increase or reduction, and also to change the compression ratio which reduces the file size as well. If I resample a 1600x1200 picture by 50%, it will produce an 800x600 picture which is a smaller image size and a smaller file size. I can then ALSO change the compression ratio as I create the new file. As my camera does a 7:1 JPEG compression when storing a picture to SmartMedia card, I also can use 7:1 in the program and get an approximately same file size as the camera does when converting a 1600x1200 BMP or TIFF file to JPEG. Or I can change the compression to 15:1 to get a smaller file size instead of changing the image size with resampling.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote