Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 29, 2003, 8:51 PM   #1
Default What digicams have a good macro feature?

I'm new to digi photography, but not film photography. In order to take more pictures of everyday things, as well as coins (I'm an avid collector) I have chosen to go digital. An ideal camera would have a strong macro, give pictures at least 1500 pixels wide to provide cropping room, and also be fast enough for regular use (people pictures, scenery that I want more pictures of but don't want to spend an entire roll of film, etc.)

I am just a teenager, so I don't have a lot of money to spend on a camera. My birthday is coming up, and my parents will probably defray the cost to an extent, so I can probably go with a camera around $300-$400 (used could be acceptable).

I have a strong interest in the Ricoh 4300, 5000, and 5300, as well as the rr30, as I know of their exceptional macros (around 1cm, as I have been told). Does anyone know the basic differences between the 5000 and 5300? The rr30 looks really nice, but I can't find them used, and they might be too much money.

All opinions are more than welcome- do you have any ideas for where to get the camera? I have been looking at eBay a lot, but I would also like to know what camera stores online stock them- new or used.

Jeremy Katz
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2003, 8:55 PM   #2

The Olympus C4000 has a macro and super macro mode which should work great for shot of coins. You can check Steve's review.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:02 PM   #3

The digicams that wrote the book on macro mode are Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, 995, 4500.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:43 PM   #4

The CP990 series has the potential to become a collector item, and to top it off it also the last of the Nikon to takes rechargeable NiMh AA batteries! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get it!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 7:45 AM   #5

I have only tried olympus and sony, but i remember that the sony mavica FD7 could focus on something that TOUCHED the lens. ZERO DISTANCE!!!!
It had really low rez, but if the newer sonys are the same, you may want to try them out.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote