Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 1, 2002, 8:25 AM   #1
Default Making good photos in the pub when going out

I was wondering how I can make good photos in a pub or disco at night.

I use a Sony MVC-CD200, but when I use the flash everyone looks really 'white' (like they had to much beer

Are there any filters or something I can use? My camera is set on auto (for flashlevel etc.)
hasato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2002, 4:47 PM   #2

The automatic flash exposure isn't sophisticated enough. The camera is trying to average out the exposure so the large area of dark background that never gets illuminated by the flash is "balanced" by foreground subjects that are overexposed. If your camera has adjustable exposure levels you should experiment with intentionally underexposing by 1 stop or possibly more. I'm not aware of any filter that will help. The only possibility there is if the filter is so dark that the exposure just happens to be correct at full power but that's iffy at best. This is the kind of thing that old fashioned manual flash was good for. Use the guide number to set the aperture for the subject distance and you get correct exposure even in situations that would fool an automatic camera.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 2:07 PM   #3

Try changeing your recording mode from auto to 1 touch white balance. make sure you find the white or grey the book says to use to set with.by the term pub I am guessing thatyou are in UK? When I got back from 8 1/2 years in Germany to Florida and went to Beach with friend, after I took my shirt off he said "you are the whitest whiteman I have ever seen.
Cannot not help any more with cam as I have never used one, but know it has that feature.

[Edited on 7-3-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 6:50 PM   #4

I think he was referring to exposure, not white balance. In any event that method won't work with flash in most cases. If you set white balance with tungsten or flourescent ambient light which biases toward amber or green respectively it won't be correct for the bluish light from a daylight balanced flash. If you set white balance to anything set it to daylight.

Something else to try if your camera has an option is to set metering for spot mode and keep the spot on the subject. This will keep the subject correctly exposed and ignore the dark background.

[Edited on 7-3-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:03 AM   #5

I have a Sony Cybershot. I find that the flash is too much sometimes, too. I don't know if you have it on your camera, but I use mine on Program (P) mode and tunr down the EV -.3 to -.6 - it helps a lot. Your pictures may be a little darker, but you will have more color in faces.
adria_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Padeye is probably right and you have to options one being spot and one being centre weighted metering. I thing you will be better off with spot but it will depend on what the subject is wearing so try them both out.

Unfortunately you don't have a load of options to work with but there are also a couple of power settings for the flash which you might want to play with if you are still getting over exposure from the flash.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote