Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:29 AM   #1

While I can blame at least some of my bad shots on my lack of support (tripod-wise) I feel like I only get one decent picture out of ten or fifteen. Is it just me, and am I really bad? Or is that number not that unheard of when it comes to trying to get a good action shot?
KristaForbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:05 AM   #2

Need more info - camera used/lens, type of sports, day/night/indoor/outdoor.
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:15 AM   #3

Yes, I can see where the amount of information I gave was pretty useless. Sorry about that. I have an Olympus E-volt with 14-45 mm lens that it came with. For the most part I am taking picutres of volleyball, though some basketball too. But almost entirely indoor sport, and with volleyball, the problem is that they don't allow flash photography.
KristaForbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4

Indoor sports are tough shooting situations. Even though the gym may apear to be brightly lit to the human eye, in reality this is a lowlight situation. To further compound problems, the vapor lighting often creates a greenish or yellow color cast in the images.

The key to shooting sports indoors is a fast lens and high iso's. I'm not sure what is available for the E-volt, but this is where a 50mm 1.8 prime lens would really come in handy. The higher iso's (400 and above) coupled with the fast lens will allow faster shutter speeds to freeze action. I often use as high as 1600 when shooting basketball games. Running these images through neatimage or noise ninja will help combat the extra noise from these high ISO's. Your E-volt doesn't perform as well at higher iso's as Canon or Nikon DSLR's, so the noise reducing software will be a must.

To combat the color cast, if your comfotable shooting in Raw, do it. This will allow you to fine tune the whitebalance and get the correct colors.

If you're limited in lens choices and have to use your zoom, shoot at your shortest focal length. Most consumer zooms have their widest aperature at the shortest focal length. This will require you to get closer to the action (as would shooting with a prime).

Keep trying and good luck.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:32 PM   #5

Here's a few rules of thumb for indoor sports photography:

- I shoot shutter priority, 1/250th of a second or 1/500th.

- Boost your ISO as high as it can go (probably ISO1600) on your camera.

- Shoot with a fast lens, with a max aperture of F2.8 or wider.

A shutter speed of 1/250th or 1/500th will eliminate most, if not all of the movement and blurriness.

ISO1600 will set your camera to be as sensitive as possible to light (and lack thereof).

A really fast lens will let in as much light as possible.

I hope that helps!

- Terry

(attached indoor track picture:

Canon 20D

Shutter priority 1/250th second

Aperture F4

Canon 50mm F1.4 lens

NO flash)

Attached Images
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote