Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:56 PM   #1

hello i have this fuji finepix s5100 camera and i took pictures today with it

it is on auto setting and i havent messed around with it

for some reason the pictures look bad. please see attached. the detail/contrast seems to be missing

my earlier fuji finepix s2650 2MP camera seems to turn out better pictures.

I didnt use lot of zoom too

please help me. the fall colors are goin away

thanks in advance
mr_mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:50 PM   #2

Well... you were shooting at a wide open aperture for this scene.

From what I'm reading about this model, it's lens may be a bit soft at larger apertures (smaller f/stop numbers).

You might want to try the Landscape Scene Mode and see if the camera uses a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) or not (I don't know what it's behavior is in this mode). From what I understand, most of the softness goes away once you get to around f/4 or so with your Fuji model. That scene was taken at around 1/200 second, so another stop down with the aperture would have been acceptable for that shot (f/4 versus f/2.9 and your shutter speeds would have been fast enough).

That particular scene was overexposed just a tiny bit for most areas, too (so using a bit of Expoxure Compensaton set to a -EV may have helped there -- perhaps set to around -0.3EV or so). But, then you'd have the darker areas even darker (this scene looks like it would tax the dynamic range of many sensors).

If the Landscape Mode doesn't help, you could try shooting in Aperture Priority Mode, and selecting a smaller aperture (for example, f/4 or f/5.6) yourself. But, you'd need to keep an eye on your shutter speeds to make sure they don't get too slow.

Shooting in raw would probably help (converting the files using software later), since that would bypass the camera's processing of the data from the sensor. But, that would mean a lot more space on your memory cards, and the time needed to convert the files later.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:49 PM   #3

It seems like the sunlit pine trees on the hill in the center of the photo are perfectly exposed. The problem is that the hardwoods with the foliage, in the foreground, are in shade. The camera, apparently adjusted exposure based on the sunlit portion of the photo (most likely the point at which the photographer pre-focused the camera). That made the foliage appear drab.

I think if you try taking that shot when the sunlight is falling on the hardwoods, the colors will be a lot more brilliant.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote