Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 21, 2003, 9:32 PM   #1
Default Take photos indoor

I need to take photos of some factories. I tried with flash on and off on my Fuji 30i mini camera. Both results are unsatisfactory. The first one is the background is too dark - insufficient flash power I believe. The second one is bright but not sharp - I guess the shutter speed is too long. I cannot carry a powerful flash or tripod due to inconvenient to my job. Any idea I can improve the photo quality.

RayLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:11 PM   #2

Have you tried a Brightness and Contrast adjustment on the first photo? Using a Photo Editing program like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, or PhotoImpact can do great things for dark pictures. Also some printer and camera software has correction features as part of the package. Give it a try.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:20 PM   #3

How about a mini-tripod ? fits in any pocket
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:37 PM   #4

Take a look at the EXIF data for the photo that was bright, but not sharp. Make sure the aperature was at the largest possible for your camera (smallest f/stop value).

Next, look at the shutter speed. Likely the "blurriness" is due to shake (any unintentiional camera motion while the shutter is open). If you brace yourself against a post, wall, ... you can manage much longer exposure time. Do some practicing near your computer so you can quickly download the picture and look at the details for sharpness. You will quickly figure out what the longest shutter speed you can use.

Keep in mind that the longest shutter speed depends on the focal length used. You will need a shorter time for longer lengths.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:28 AM   #5

There's really no way around it. You'll need either a flash like an afterburner or a tripod.

There are all sorts of mini ones available: Screw-in ones, clamp-on ones and bendy ones etc.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 2:08 PM   #6

Your options are limited 'cos your cam is only 100ASA speed. With internal flash you will have to get really close (less than 10 feet). Auto focus must be a bit of problem I guess as well.

There's no hot shoe on this cam for external flash, but a slave unit should work, unless your cam is a multiple flash type (for redeye) and you can't s select single flash.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote