Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:39 AM   #1

I was reading in the review of the A610 I just bought , that with and adapter, you can use 58mm lenses.
Do they mean Propriatery "A" model lenses or any Canon lenses?
Be gentle I am basically a Point and shoot guy, but yearn for more reach and clarity
BTW the 4X lense is said to be a 35-140mm equivalent
rick458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:34 AM   #2

I think you can use any 55mm converter lens or filter, as long as you have the adapter. Try before you buy, though. Sometimes these add-ons don't work well enough to justify the cost.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

Once you remove the ring around the lens, and replace it with the LA-DC58F adapter ring, you can screw onto the end of the adapter ring:

-any 58mm filters

-the three add-on lenses made by Canon for this series of digicam, which are

- WC-DC58N wide-angle lens
- TC-DC58N telephoto lens
- 250D-58 macro lens

I'm sure there are third-party lenses you could add on there as well.

For example, the Canon A510 and A520 use a similar adapter ring, the LA-DC52, which fits any 52mm filter, the WC-DC52 wide angle converter, the TC-DC52 teleconverter, and also the 250D-52 macro lens. Raynox has made the RA6252, a converter ring that screws onto the 52mm-threaded end of the LA-DC52 converte ring. You can attach to the RA6252 any of Raynox's DCR-series add-on lenses and converters, of which there are 13:

Once Raynox comes out with a 58mm version of the
RA6252 converter ring, you'll be able to use that to attach Raynox DCR-series lenses/converters onto the Canon A620's LADC58F converter ring.

(Actually, Raynox already has the RA6258 converter ring, which may do just that, but I'm not 100% sure it works with the Canon A610 - it works with Nikons, Sonys, etc, that are threaded for 58mm filters, so it might work all right with the A610 as well).

There are other companies that make this kind of thing, not just Raynox. I forget what they are, though. A year ago, when I was looking into buying accessories for my FZ10, I investigated the different ones. At that point I would have been able to name 1 or 2 other third-party manufacturers of wide-angle converters / macro converters / teleconverters for fixed-lens digital cameras. I ended up choosing the Raynox DCR 5000 as a wide-angle converter, which on the FZ10 requires an
RT5264P adapter ring. That's why I knew how to look up the Canon ones - it's kinda confusing at first, but pretty simple in the end when you figure out what adapter adapts what to what... :?
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote