Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:19 PM   #1

Are there any digital cameras with a panoramic mode similar to the one available on the APS photo system? (and by panoramic, I don't mean taking two pictures and sticking them together with a software :?)

If so, could you give me examples of models that have such a feature and the terminology used to describe it?

123soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:03 PM   #2

APS 'panoramic' mode was/is simply an in camera mask (crop) using the same capture area as the standard mode

to duplicate effect merely crop the captured image and print 4 x 10
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:14 AM   #3

bernabeu wrote:
APS 'panoramic' mode was/is simply an in camera mask (crop) using the same capture area as the standard mode

to duplicate effect merely crop the captured image and print 4 x 10
Exactly, it was a marketing gimick of the worst kind.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:25 AM   #4

True, APS panoramas are nothing more than cropping, but that isn't a rip off if you know what is going on. The major advantage is that printing is cheap: less than US$0.50 for a 4x10" print. Much less than half the cost of an 8x10".

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Since I don't have a really short lens, I often stitch into a 2:5 aspect ratio and get cheap prints made. So I consider the APS pano format a really good idea in terms of printing price.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:21 AM   #5

The Panasonic LX1 probably does the best job if you like that format. Its best quality gives a 16:9 ratio at a full 8.4Mp and 28mm. If you want to crop further you have a lot of pixels to do it with.

Otherwise you would do fine by just cropping a normal image. Even the freeware Irfanview will do a nice job and crop to a predetermined size.

Another alternative is to just hold the camera vertically and take several panorama shots. If you have a panorama mode in the camera that fixes the camera settings with the first shot stitching is very fast and you can't tell the results from a single shot. You get gobs of pixels that way.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:11 AM   #6

The most important thing in taking panoramic pictures with just one shot is that the equivalent focal length of the lens be fairly small at the wide-angle end:

For example, a camera with an equivalent focal length of 28mm at the wide end will capture a lot more than one with an equivalent focal length of 39mm. So, the lower the minimum equivalent focal length, the more you will capture in one shot. You can then crop down to the aspect ratio of your choice (indeed, 4x10 makes for cheap, large-ish, and good-looking prints).

Many cameras go as wide as 28mm equivalent, some go even wider. The first one that comes to mind is the Fuji E500 and E510, but there are many others.

Another option is to get a camera that is compatible with add-on lenses, and then buy a wide-angle adaptor. Many cameras have 0.5x or 0.7x adaptors available that will allow you to take in a lot of a panorama. Sharpness goes down a little bit, but you can take in your whole view with one shot:

airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:06 PM   #7

Lets assume for a moment that you TOTALLY UNDERSTAND photostitching software, and the ease of which you could run it.

Would you rather have a standard single image cropped at the top and bottom to appear to be a panoramic photo, or would you rather have two to three images truly photographed side by side and stitched together thus creating a MUCH WIDER field of view, thus giving you the realism of a true panoramic scene?

If the answer is the WIDER field of view scene, then jump head first into learning panoramic software and learn how to take true pano's. I think you will be very happy when you do, as the effect of three or more photos merged perfectly together will always be better than one photo cropped to appear as a pano.

If you are willing to learn, your final results will greatly enhance your photographic experiences, and some of us will be more than happy to help you along the way.

Here is an EXCELLENT free program, that is totally automatic. And the beauty of digital imaging is that you don't spend any money in printing before you are happy with the final results.

Try this program.....please. I really think you will be happy.

Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote