Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:43 PM   #1
Default Need help with software!

I just purchased a Minolta Dimage 7i. Wanted to transfer the pictures to my computer so that I could see how well (or poorly) I was doing. But after installing the Dimage software, I transfer the pictures from the camera, but they aren't to be found anywhere in the software! I uninstalled and re-installed several times--each time disabling the anti-virus software, but nothing helps.

At one time, I located the pictures from the camera on a software package that was already installed on my computer when I bought it. But when I tried to enlarge the pictures, they just got blurrier as I increased the zoom. There has to be a better way!!

Can anyone suggest a software program for editing and printing my pictures that a newbie can handle? I have been working on this problem for two nights and I've had it with the Dimage software!
DigiNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:53 PM   #2

First of all, take a deep breath and relax.

The DiMage software is NOT necessary to transfer the pictures to the computer. When you plug the USB cable to the camera (with the other end plugged into the computer, obviously), and activate the connection, the DiMage camera should show up as a removable drive. Use Windows Explorer (if you are using Windows) to move the photo files to a folder on your hard drive.

For a free image viewing and editing software, I recommend IrfanView--it is an excellent piece of FREE software that can do a tremendous amount of stuff--batch renaming/conversion, image adjustment, thumbnails, etc. You can download it from www.irfanview.com.

I suspect that the DiMage software does actually copy the photo files over to the computer, but the default photo folder with the software might be so nested that it's hard to get to (it might be something crazy like c:\program files\minolta\dimage\7i\photos\downloaded--this is just an example).

As for blurry photos--check the resolution and image quality. Are you taking photos at the full 5 megapixels that the 7i is capable of?

It's always a better idea to copy the files over to the computer and then opening/viewing/editing them, as opposed to doing it straight from the camera. And for the same reason, when you edit them, it's usually a good idea to make a copy and work off of it, rather than editing the original directly. This way you'll always have the original to go back to if the editing doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

Holler if you have more questions! We're a pretty helpful bunch here. :lol:
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:56 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Hyun
First of all, take a deep breath and relax.
That is the best advice you will get about learning to use a photo editor.

I know nothing about the editor that comes with your camera, but if it is like most of those that come with cameras, printers, scanners, ... it is likely to be as easy to use as any you will find. Limited, possibly clunky, but fairly easy. Anything you buy is going to be harder to use because it will be able to do much more. Use what you have until you figure out what you want to do that it isn't capable of doing.

Before buying anything, pick up a couple of freeware packages. IrfanView should be at the top of that list, as should an EXIF viewer that matches your camera. IrfanView will show some of the EXIF data, but every camera seems to have stuff that is non standard. Ask about that in the forum for your specific camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote